What unusual things do you put in pancakes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hmmm, let's see. Crushed bannanas, sliced strawberries, peanuts, M&M's, Pinapple chunks, diced apple, cinamon, nutmeg, ginger, mashed sweet spuds, applesauce, psillium husks, wheat germ, used carbonated water to liquify the batter, whole kernal corn. All of these things were added to seperate batches over the years. I love making dutch babies and spreading slice straberries in pretty floral patters over the top, and drizzling on a bit of strabery culaise (sp). I've also made what I call blueberry burritoes by adding a bit extra flour and egg to a crepe recipe, to give a little more hight to the pancake while keeping it elastic enoough to fold without breaking. Then place a spponful or two of fresh blueberries, and some blueberry pie filling, and roll liek a burrito.

Another different topping is to place Velveeta Cheese on top, and cover with a second hot pancake with pur maple syrup poured over the top. Yum.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

chocolate chips

blueberries

strawberries

brown sugar

butterscotch chips

i keep it simple i know, and Im sure all of these have been mentioned.

Blueberries and black pepper

apple and caramel chunks

ginger and all spice

my all time fave is sweet potato pancakes with ginger though.

Tat - How do you do sweet potato pancakes with ginger?! Sounds awesome!

Just like making a potato pancake, but with grated sweets, and some ground fresh ginger. Be careful with the amount of ginger though, it can get a little overbearing.I prefer the sweetness with a hint of ginger.

*amy* said:
Come on over, Jikoni. :) (I've had my eye on that Grand Marnier Souffle :pig: )

I never had a chance to eat at Chinois, but remember reading the recipe for the pancakes. This is what I really want for dinner.

RE_WPTI0226.gif

Wolfgang Puck - Chinese Duck with Plum Sauce and Chinois Pancakes

(Who wants to grab a flight with me to Vegas for dinner tonight? :LOL: )

Thanks *Amy*. I am on the next flight. :LOL: Actually I have been very boring with pancakes(lemon juice and sugar syrup and for my kids Nuttela) I will try a few of your pancake recipes toppings.

This may sound uber-weird, & I've never made them myself, but growing up back in NY one of the local pancake houses had "cheese" pancakes on the menu, which were nothing more that regular buttermilk pancakes that had slices of American cheese baked on top of them. I LOVED them, & used to order them all the time. Haven't come across them in any restaurant/pancake house since.

Yes, pancakes with cheese are delicious BreezyCooking. :)
I sometimes put cheese and mushrooms in mine. Or cheese and tomatoes.

Mel

i love pancakes, make 'em every weekend. here's my basic recipe for pancakes for 1:

buttermilk pancake flour - about 1/3 c.
wheat germ - 2 tbsp
whey or soy protein powder - 1 tbsp
enough milk to make it a batter

for add-ins, I've tried some of these... some with more success than others:
banana
banana nut
apple
apple nut
blueberry
blueberry mint
mango
mango coconut
cinnamon and vanilla
orange (not so good)
pineapple (not so good)
strawberry
chocolate chips

We have been enjoying peach pancakes this summer. They are delicious. For fun, we do one peach, one blueberry, one strawberry & stack them. So when you cut through you see all the colors.

As a child my favorite was banana & chocolate chip pancakes.

I definitely put vanilla in every one and want to try making whole wheat with flax seed in them...I've added bananas, apple slices and pecans, but as a kid we loved to separate the batter and put food coloring in them to make different colored ones! We also would cook in some sprinkles too!

lpb

The other day my older son wanted chocolate swirl pancakes so I set aside half cup of pancake batter and added a couple of tablespoons of cocoa, mixed it up and swirled it on the batter that was in the pan. Sprinkled some chocolate chips and once it was done, topped it with CoolWhip and chocolate shavings over the cream. He was in heaven!

I also add a tablespoon of ground flaxseed, a sprinkle of cinnamon, thinly sliced green apple and a dab of vanilla to my pancake mix. Cook as usual. They're extra healthy and delicious.

My daughter likes cinnamon applesauce and brown sugar mixed in with the batter.

Drop some pear or peach slices on a buttered pan, sprinkle some brown sugar and pour pancake batter over the fruit. You get an upside down fruit pancake.

I'll think of more ideas later.

Back
Top Bottom