Why do my pancakes look like this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Flat Pancakes

I also come out with flat, not-quite-cooked pancakes. Even when first side down is brown and air bubbles indicate readiness for turning, I am still getting some raw batter in the middle of each cake at end of process...even when second side is pretty dark.

I'll try dialing the heat back a little and using less butter in pan. Am also wondering if it could be old baking soda or baking powder (I use a scratch recipe), or eggs not good? Or uneven heat distribution (maybe I can convince my husband that we need a new range...:yum:)

I also come out with flat, not-quite-cooked pancakes. Even when first side down is brown and air bubbles indicate readiness for turning, I am still getting some raw batter in the middle of each cake at end of process...even when second side is pretty dark.

I'll try dialing the heat back a little and using less butter in pan. Am also wondering if it could be old baking soda or baking powder (I use a scratch recipe), or eggs not good? Or uneven heat distribution (maybe I can convince my husband that we need a new range...:yum:)

Raw in the middle means that your heat is too high. You are correct on that point. Check the recipes from the pancake cookoff that took place in conjunction with this thread. There were some truly great recipes.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

The first pancake, when I cooked them, is usually not one I keep. But it sounds as if you are talking about more than just one.

This is a cooking forum with some really great cooks as members so I hesitate to say this (ducking and running:innocent:) but Krusteaz makes a good pancake mix. I never had a failure with that.

Back
Top Bottom