"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood
Click Here to Login

Old 06-22-2020, 08:12 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Baked Prawn with Lemon Leaf

Lemon leaves are aromatic, deep green and shiny and widely used in cooking, especially in those parts of Italy like Sicily or Campania where lemon trees are such a staple.

Those one who are lucky enough to own a lemon plant can use the leaves of the plant as an unusual and fragrant ingredient for several extraordinary recipes.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Serves 2, Preparation time 10 mins, Cooking time 10 mins
  • 12 fresh or frozen prawns
  • 12 lemon leaves
  • Salt and black pepper, to taste
  • a tablespoon of pink peppercorn
  • EVOO Extra Virgin Olive Oil

Method

Whether you use fresh or frozen prawns, once shelled you need to cut them lightly with a knife on top and remove the black filament with a toothpick. Rinse and dry them with kitchen paper.

Wash each lemon leaves carefully under hot running water, then dry and keep them aside.

In a bowl season prawns with a tablespoon of oil, salt and pepper and some lightly crushed pink peppercorns.

Place the shinier outer part of a lemon leaf on a wooden cutter, insert a prawn and close the leaf by wrapping the prawn, then close with a toothpick so that the prawn is well blocked inside. Proceed in that fashion for all the other ones.

Bake to 180 C for 8-10 minutes.

Attached Images

MyPinchofItaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 05:31 PM   #2
Executive Chef

That looks and sounds great.

I have some kafir lime leaves in my freezer, think I might try with that. They might be smaller but I think I can figure a way.

thanks Pinchof!
Old 06-24-2020, 07:16 AM   #3
Assistant Cook

I think kafir lime leaves will work very well!
Old 06-30-2020, 02:31 PM   #4
Assistant Cook

Lemon balm?

Would lemon balm work in the same way? I don't have a lemon tree, but lots of lemon balm (it's invasive!)
Pellice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 03:59 PM   #5
Executive Chef

I know lemon balm is often used for tea but wasn't sure about other ways. Looking it up I came across two different views. From other things I've also read - I don't think you'd get enough of the lemon flavour to waste it on shrimp. LOL just MHO!

"Early fresh leaves can be chopped and added to salads. As cooking destroys the fragrance, Lemon Balm should be added to already cooked recipes. Lemon Balm has several health benefits which make it an ideal plant to bolster you immune system"

"Lemon balm is LIKELY SAFE when used in food amounts. ... Not enough is known about the safety of lemon balm when used long-term. When taken by mouth, lemon balm can cause some side effects including increased appetite, nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain, dizziness, and wheezing."
Old Yesterday, 01:43 PM   #6
Assistant Cook

Geez, I've had lemon balm around for years. I thought I didn't use it enough - just for salads and sometimes on drinks. Makes sense that cooking would destroy it. I'm going to experiment some with adding it afterwards.
Pellice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:58 AM   #7
Assistant Cook

Hello Pellice
I have never used lemon balm for this recipe, sorry I can't say if could work

Tags
lemon, lemon leaf, prawns, recipe

Baked Prawn with Lemon Leaf Lemon leaves are aromatic, deep green and shiny and widely used in cooking, especially in those parts of Italy like Sicily or Campania where lemon trees are such a staple. Those one who are lucky enough to own a lemon plant can use the leaves of the plant as an unusual and fragrant ingredient for several extraordinary recipes. --------------------------------------------------------------------- [B]Serves 2, Preparation time 10 mins, Cooking time 10 mins[/B] [LIST] [*]12 fresh or frozen prawns [*]12 lemon leaves [*]Salt and black pepper, to taste [*]a tablespoon of pink peppercorn [*]EVOO Extra Virgin Olive Oil [/LIST] [B]Method[/B] Whether you use fresh or frozen prawns, once shelled you need to cut them lightly with a knife on top and remove the black filament with a toothpick. Rinse and dry them with kitchen paper. Wash each lemon leaves carefully under hot running water, then dry and keep them aside. In a bowl season prawns with a tablespoon of oil, salt and pepper and some lightly crushed pink peppercorns. Place the shinier outer part of a lemon leaf on a wooden cutter, insert a prawn and close the leaf by wrapping the prawn, then close with a toothpick so that the prawn is well blocked inside. Proceed in that fashion for all the other ones. Bake to 180 C for 8-10 minutes. 3 stars 1 reviews