Baking frozen salmon question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kevinh

Assistant Cook
My wife always like me to have cooked salmon ready for her. We bought it fresh and froze it.

Can I just pop frozen salmon fillets in the oven? What would be a good temp.
I like to cook it slow as I do not always know when she will be back. I was thinking slow would be better since it is making quite a change from frozen.

Thanks for all the help group. I asked two questions earlier and got quick responses. I suppose I should send out a specific thanks to those that have responded.

IMHO - do your wife and the salmon a favor - don't try to bake it frozen. By the time the middle is cooked the top will be overcooked and the bottom will be undercooked and soggy.

If you have a microwave with a defrost setting - you could use the lowest and shortest setting - if the fillet is 16oz - set it for 14oz and wait 5 extra minutes after it cycles off. Then - you could bake it. Will not be as good as if you thawed it overnight in the refrigerator - but better than tossing a frozen "salmon-sicle" into the oven.

Toss the fish into a bowl of cold water. It will defrost amazingly quickly. When I take mine out of the freezer, I leave them in the plastic bag and into the water they go.

When thawed, I cook mine at about 375 for around 15 minutes max. I like to take it out at 131 degrees in the center and let it sit for a few minutes, per Alton Brown's advice. Works quite well! Even a starving wife should be happy waiting 15 minutes for salmon. Have a little appetizer ready for her or something, LOL!

I bought 2 pieces of frozen Teriyaki-marinated wild salmon (Safeway's own brand) last week - each about 1-1/2" to 2" thick. The instructions specifically said NOT to defrost them before cooking. Said to place them on a foil-lined baking sheet in a 400-degree oven for 30 minutes.

Came out fabulous - moist, flaky, & flavorful.

400 degrees frozen

Just cooked a ~1lb frozen solid salmon filet for 25 minutes at 400 degrees. Came out perfect, do defrosting necessary.

Back
Top Bottom