Bang Bang Shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

niquejim

Senior Cook
3/4 cup flour
1/2 cup rice flour(or a little less cornstarch)
1 Tbs kosher or sea salt
1/2 Tbs fresh cracked black pepper
1 lb small peeled shrimp

2 eggs

Oil for frying

Beat the 2 eggs in a bowl and combine the dry ingredients in another bowl. Roll the shrimp in the flour mix, then eggs and back to the flour mix. Fry in batches 2-3 minute @360 until golden, drain well.
Toss in the sauce until coated

sauce: 2/3 cup mayo
1 1/2 TBS Sriracha hot sauce
1 1/2tsp honey

Oh yummy. Makes me wish I had a deep fryer. The sauce is similar to one I make a lot for a lot of different foods, and I'd love this. But I hate deep frying.

mmm, this looks good! and it just may be do-able with my little bucket type el cheapo electric deep fryer. i think it's called a "fry daddy" or something.

i bought it to make buffalo wings, but you can only make 3 or 4 wings in it at a time effectively, so by the time you've made enough for a few people, the first ones that were fried are getting cold.

but i think shrimp would fry up much more quickly, and at least a few more at a time.

thanks nique and jim.

mmm, this looks good! and it just may be do-able with my little bucket type el cheapo electric deep fryer. i think it's called a "fry daddy" or something.

i bought it to make buffalo wings, but you can only make 3 or 4 wings in it at a time effectively, so by the time you've made enough for a few people, the first ones that were fried are getting cold.

but i think shrimp would fry up much more quickly, and at least a few more at a time.

thanks nique and jim.

I used my dad's "fry daddy" (small bucket, cheapo electric deep fryer) to deep-fry walleye "nuggets" for walleye tacos. I had to do the fish in two batches, but that was okay. Depending on the count/pound of the shrimp, I would think you could do this quite nicely using the fry daddy. Wings, on the other hand, because chicken takes longer to fry to get the internal temp up, might be tricky in that appliance.

will have to take a look at this mini fry-daddy... it sounds really convenient. I often wish I had a little fried crunch texture to a dish - crispy onion rings on a burger, etc - but don't want to do the kitchen work for what amounts to a few small pieces of garnish.

If you swap the measurements of hot sauce & honey, add toasted walnuts into the toss, it's called "Walnut Shrimp" and is also a tasty, sweet dish.

will have to take a look at this mini fry-daddy... it sounds really convenient. I often wish I had a little fried crunch texture to a dish - crispy onion rings on a burger, etc - but don't want to do the kitchen work for what amounts to a few small pieces of garnish.

If you swap the measurements of hot sauce & honey, add toasted walnuts into the toss, it's called "Walnut Shrimp" and is also a tasty, sweet dish.

Just to say, I have used a few different electric fryers and I've never been happier than when I switched to a pot with oil in it that I set on the gas burner. The results are better and it's less messy. There's just a bit of a learning curve as far as regulating your temps.

thanks nique and jim.

I've got one of those little fryers also, BT. I hardly ever use it, because, as you say, it's just too small to do much in. I find a Wok to be far superior to any of the deep fryers on the market.

This recipe is interesting..

I've never had this, but it looks like..

Fry some shrimp, (lightly in cornstarch, or all the way with egg and crumbs)..

make a sauce of spicy Mayo and toss?

Sounds like it would be Soggy, but very intrigueing!

Serve over rice or salad?

I don't normally have Thai ingrediants around, but like them..

I wonder if this would work with a Chipotle Chili Mayo/ Cream sauce as well?

Thanks, Eric, Austin Tx.

I find that adding cornstarch to the flour before the egg wash helps the "crumbs" stick better. I also add about 1 tsp of corn starch to the crumb mixture.

Panko on medium sized or larger shrimp. The little ones dry out too fast when deep fried.

I wondered..

I was thinking this might be good like..

Fry some breaded shrimps..

then serve the Sauce as a side for Dipping..

I've heard of Europeans dipping French Fries in Mayo!

Eric.

The cornstarch holds up a LOT better for crispiness, it will stay crisp, even in the sauce.

Breading(like bread crumbs)soak things up, equaling soggy/greasy. The cornstarch creates a shell of sorts, and will stay pretty crispy for quite a while.

Have had it served only over greens. . .I would go as far as calling it a salad, though, with the addition of some orange segments, and a sesame ginger dressing would change all of that. . .but typically, have just seen it as an appetizer.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom