Best fish for fish & chips?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks, yeah, I guess I wasn't clear, as always. i do know about the fish, was very popular in Russia. But I never seen it here, so I was looking for more local information.

Thanks, yeah, I guess I wasn't clear, as always. i do know about the fish, was very popular in Russia. But I never seen it here, so I was looking for more local information.

It's a pleasure anyway. Hake is also from the same species as cod. Think that would be as close as you'll get locally.

I know a lot about fish, got bored and studied a few books on sea life.

Down here a lot of the restaurants use Gulf of Mexico grouper. It's a nice, mild white fish and most places offer it deep fried in sandwiches.

i associate cod with pub style fish. cod has a nice mild flavor, and a semi-firm texture, that holds up well to battering. although i favor halibut over most other fish, for fish and chips cod is an easy choice for me....

V, I love cod and wish we got more of it here :)

We do get a couple of varieties, but not the one Steve had back in the UK

When I was growing up we used to pull Corvina out of the sea, sometimes 5 of us in the boat could pull in as many as 30 in 30 minutes. (no limits). Good day when fish were biting of course. Great tasting salt water white meat fish. My 7 year old brother caught a 35 Lb. Corvina and made the local paper. We would have huge fish frys on the beach. I never see Corvina in markets anywhere.

Most places around here use Pacific red snapper, which is actually rock cod, and will upgrade you to halibut for an additional cost.

+1

CF, since you are in Acton, my guess also would be that it was Rock Cod (Red Snapper) and a wonderful choice for fish and chips. I actually prefer it to Halibut for this dish, although I adore grilled Halibut. We have a wonderful harbor restaurant here in Ventura called "Andrea's" and they have the best fish and chips made with Rock Cod I've ever eaten anywhere, including the United Kingdom.

Back
Top Bottom