Cajun Barbecued Shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AllenOK

Executive Chef
Cajun Barbecued Shrimp
Yields: 2 servings

This is one of Chef Prudhomme's recipes. I absolutely love this, although many folks are turned off by shrimp with the heads on. I've made it a couple times, years ago. I don't really have access to head-on shrimp unless I order it from work, in bulk, so I haven't made it lately.
This is one of those “messy” dishes. For the best service, completely clear your table, and lay down a lot of newspaper. Have lots of paper towels, napkins, or those alcohol wipes for BBQ.
If you can’t get shrimp with the heads on, just double the amount of shrimp, and use the shell on tails. However, you really should try this dish with head-on shrimp at least once, as there is a nugget of shrimp fat between the head and tail that is really good.

2 dz large shrimp with heads and tails
Seasoning Mix:
½ t cayenne
½ t black pepper
½ t salt
¼ t crushed red pepper
½ t thyme
½ t rosemary
1/8 t oregano
¼ # (1 stick) butter, + 5 T, in all
1 ½ t minced garlic
1 t Worcestershire
½ c shrimp stock
¼ beer at room temp

Rinse the shrimp in cold water and drain. Then, pinch of the part of the head from the eyes forward, careful to leave the spine protruding out. Leave as much as possible of the orange shrimp fat. In a small bowl, combine the seasoning mix ingredients. Combine the 1 stick of butter, the garlic, Worcestershire, and seasoning mix in a large skillet over high heat. When the butter is melted, add the shrimp. Cook for 2 minutes, shaking the pan back and forth, not stirring. Add the remaining 5 T of butter and the stock, cook and shake the pan for 2 minutes more. Add the beer and cook for 1 more minute. Remove from heat. Serve on a large plate, with a mound of rice in the center.

Back
Top Bottom