Calamari

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

goboenomo

Head Chef
It is my favorite food ever!
I think I saw it in a grocery store once
If I were to get some, does anybody know a recipe for a batter for it?

No i've never stuffed it
I've only had it at The Keg, Casey's, and Shoeless Joe's
The Keg and Casey's cut theirs into rings (so a normal cut) and put a nice batter on it. And Shoeless Joe's juliennes theirs and uses this batter that has a nice little kick to it.

I've seen calamari stuffed with garlic on this garlic cook off on Food Network Canada
but what else can you stuff it with?

I have a recipe from an old relative that I made for him once that stuffs the squid with breadcrumbs, romano cheese and shrimp. It's served with marinara sauce.

Where in Canada are you?

If you're working at a restaurant, you may be able to get some from a supplier.

I'm from Oshawa Ontario which is about an hour from Toronto (our capital)

The restaurant I work at is called Montanas Cookhouse and we do not serve calamari at all. I wish we did so I could get a 50% discount when I'm working.

Do you serve seafood? A seafood vendor could get calamari for you.

Also, you're not that far from Toronto. There must be good seafood sources there.

calamari fritti (fried) and calamari imbotiti (stuffed) are 2 good ways to prepare squid.

marinara or fra diavolo are also popular. or you can combine a few techniques, and serve breaded fried calamari over sauced pasta. i've seen this called "ny style", but i think that was somewhere on a vacation. ny'ers eat squid lotsa different ways.

my favourite way happens to be thai. flash grilled on skewers, then served on a bed of lettuce, and topped with jullienned carrots and red cabbage, chopped fresh cilantro, and sweet chili sauce.

Look in the frozen food seafood counter for squid.
Just cut into rings, lightly flour and fry in deep fat for 30 seconds.

goboenomo said:
oooo
that sounds great
i just dont know where i can get calamari around here

I live near Sacramento, California and most supermarkets do not carry fresh calamari but most have it in the freezer section. I find it frozen in boxes of about 3 to 4 lbs. uncleaned in the frozen fish section (same place as frozen fish sticks and crab cakes). Thaw it, clean it and cook it.

It's one of my top favorite foods also.

I like it with a light beer batter....light lager and flour or, een lighter, corn flour...

There is a fish stall near where we are living in Milan that is still closed for the summer but I see they have calamari fritti which I can't wait to have.

I LOVE calamari & cook it frequently. Believe it or not, our local Wal-Mart carries the really tiny (like 3" long) ones, which are FABULOUS sauteed & added to spicy pasta sauce, cream pasta sauce, or used in Thai & Vietnamese stirfries.

As far as frying them, Mario Batalli did a show where he said they're never batter-dipped in Italy when served fried, but rather just dusted with cornstarch, then fried quickly in olive oil, & served with nothing but squeezes of fresh lemon juice. I've tried this method & it's MUCH better than the battered stuff you get at restaurants.

I've seen calamari stuffed with garlic on this garlic cook off on Food Network Canada
but what else can you stuff it with?
I stuff it with spinach and garlic and grill it for 2 minutes on each side! :chef:

Trader Joes and Safeway frequently have calamari steaks. The steaks are usually tenderized and can be cut into strips. If my Joy of Cooking wasn't in storage I'd post the lemon egg batter from Joy, it is awesome on calamari steaks.

I like the rings in a beer batter or just a tempura batter.

BreezyCooking said:
I LOVE calamari & cook it frequently. Believe it or not, our local Wal-Mart carries the really tiny (like 3" long) ones, which are FABULOUS sauteed & added to spicy pasta sauce, cream pasta sauce, or used in Thai & Vietnamese stirfries.

As far as frying them, Mario Batalli did a show where he said they're never batter-dipped in Italy when served fried, but rather just dusted with cornstarch, then fried quickly in olive oil, & served with nothing but squeezes of fresh lemon juice. I've tried this method & it's MUCH better than the battered stuff you get at restaurants.

Ooo i'll have to look for that
There is a wal mart just up the street

i dont have a deep fryer
but if i covered them in flour and put them in some vegetable oil on high... would that work?

Do a 'search' from the bar at the top of the page. I posted a Delia Smith recipe for tempura batter a while ago. Absolutely fool-proof.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom