Can you freeze sliced smoked salmon? (lox)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No problem with the quality as long as you don't leave it in the freezer too long. I would say 5-6 months max. I sometimes buy a piece of fresh salmon which is easier and cheaper to come by and cure it in black treacle for 3-4 days ( molasses to you across the pond I think) wipe off the excess and slice finely on the slant. It is a great dinner starter, easy as adding 2+2 and everyone thinks you are very
1.Clever
2. Extravagant
and
3. Spoiling them rotten
I will post the recipe if anyone is interested

No problem with the quality as long as you don't leave it in the freezer too long. I would say 5-6 months max. I sometimes buy a piece of fresh salmon which is easier and cheaper to come by and cure it in black treacle for 3-4 days ( molasses to you across the pond I think) wipe off the excess and slice finely on the slant. It is a great dinner starter, easy as adding 2+2 and everyone thinks you are very
1.Clever
2. Extravagant
and
3. Spoiling them rotten
I will post the recipe if anyone is interested
Yes, I would be interested. Sounds like a variant of gravad laks.

The way I understand, Lox is a cold smoked Salmon. The hot smoked Salmon is just "smoked salmon".
'fraid not charlie.lox is a brined fillet of salmon & smoked salmon is a fillet that has been brined or salted then cold smoked so it is still essentially raw,like kippers etc.you can buy hot smoked salmon over here which is usually referred to as kiln or oven roasted smoked salmon.confusing,i know mate,'cos dad always referred to smoked salmon as lox:wacko:!!anyway,who cares it's all deelish on a bagel or rye bread with some cream cheese & red onion:yum:!!

Lox - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:
'fraid not charlie.lox is a brined fillet of salmon & smoked salmon is a fillet that has been brined or salted then cold smoked so it is still essentially raw,like kippers etc.you can buy hot smoked salmon over here which is usually referred to as kiln or oven roasted smoked salmon.confusing,i know mate,'cos dad always referred to smoked salmon as lox:wacko:!!anyway,who cares it's all deelish on a bagel or rye bread with some cream cheese & red onion:yum:!! Lox - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Per link you posted I am exactly right. Brined part is obvious. Then it smoked. Cold or hot. Cold becomes Lox. Hot is just that hot smoked.

Per link you posted I am exactly right. Brined part is obvious. Then it smoked. Cold or hot. Cold becomes Lox. Hot is just that hot smoked.
if you look at the top of the page charlie,it says "lox - not to be confused with smoked salmon" then below that it says "lox is a fillet of brined salmon"
brining or salting is part of the smoking process.then you have cold smoking which means that the salmon is smoked but still raw & hot smoking that means that the salmon is smoked & cooked.they are 3 different types of salmon

if you look at the top of the page charlie,it says "lox - not to be confused with smoked salmon" then below that it says "lox is a fillet of brined salmon"
brining or salting is part of the smoking process.then you have cold smoking which means that the salmon is smoked but still raw & hot smoking that means that the salmon is smoked & cooked.they are 3 different types of salmon
That's a rather piddly wiki article and don't agree. Around here, lox is salmon that has been brined and cold smoked. It actually just means salmon. Brined and not smoked is gravlaks or gravad laks.

That's a rather piddly wiki article and don't agree. Around here, lox is salmon that has been brined and cold smoked. It actually just means salmon. Brined and not smoked is gravlaks or gravad laks.
oh well,you say tomata's i say tomatoes you say potata's i say potatoes,tomata's tomatoes,potata's potatoes..........:LOL:!!
who cares tax,it's all good mate:yum:!!

I was addressing Harry's point that lox was brined and NOT smoked.
Maybe that's how they use the term "lox" in the UK. And as you pointed out, on this side of the pond, we use the term for brined and smoked salmon, e.g. Nova Lox.

Last edited:
As long as I only freeze my salmon once, I never notice a loss of flavor or texture when I let it defrost slowly. I never have tried to refreeze it, but then, it is usually gone anyway. He He. I love salmon in the morning, with chopped onions and capers. I eat it alone or on toast. Always a smash hit with my friends and family. Enjoy!

Back
Top Bottom