Cat fish is on sale this week

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Is it whole with the bone or bonelss fillet or catfish nuggets? I have several ways to prepare it Vietnamese style, eaten w/ rice. I can dig up the recipes.

If it holds up in soup you could put it in Kitchenelf's spicy fish stew. I really enjoyed this recipe.
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1724&highlight=spicy+fish+stew

Also earlier I was asking if anyone had a good recipe for catfish stew because I wanted to try something a little different and someone mentioned putting into a gumbo base.

Maybe putting a cajun dry rub onto it and throwing it onto the grill. Serve with red beans and rice.

Or do it the traditional southern way, cornmeal fried, and serve it with some hush puppys, cornbread, and collard greens. And for condiments have out some apple butter, maple syrup, and honey butter. Oops.. and you can't forget the tartar sauce.

this is a simple delishious way to do up catfish california style

1 small onion small dice
1 orange, juice and pulp
evoo
1/2 tsp rosemary crush between fingers
salt pepper to taste
pinch or red chili flakes (optional)

heat saute pan and coat with evoo
saute onion until lightly caramelized
add chili and rosemary...should be fragrant in a few seconds
add catfish fillets a little salt and pepper
add orange juice and pulp
cover and reduce heat..."poach in juice and natural juice of fish"
flip fish over if you like after 5 min and cook another few minutes
serve with a rice pilaf...pan juices etc spooned over fish

this is really good

I'm originally from Oklahoma, and was raised on fried catfish. Believe, I absolutely love fried catfish. However, I have developed a soft spot for Blackend Catfish. Dust it with cajun blackened seasoning, and saute over med-high heat in clarified butter until done. Be careful, as this creates a lot of smoke and will really smell up the house. Open your windows, turn the exhaust vent on high, or better yet, cook it outside on a portable gas stove.

Pecan crusted catfish - Make a mixture of cornmeal, flour, and finely ground pecans, salt/pepper/garlic powder/cayenne.

Dredge the catfish fillets in the mixture, heat about a half inch of oil in a pan, and fry the fish til GBD on both sides. Serve with lemon wedges, tartar sauce, and/or hot sauce.

Here are my two favorites from my files. Enjoy! :chef:

Baked Fillet of Catfish Creole

4 each 6 to 8 ounce catfish fillets

Creole Sauce:
2 tablespoons butter
1 cup chopped yellow onions
3/4 cup chopped celery
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 bay leaves, whole
1 teaspoon chili powder
salt to taste
cayenne pepper to taste
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon thyme
1/4 teaspoon dill
1/4 teaspoon sweet basil
2 cups tomato sauce
1 cup water
salt
cayenne pepper

Preparation:
In a heavy pot, sauté onions, celery, garlic and seasonings in butter until done (10 minutes). Add tomato sauce and water, bring to a rapid boil and reduce to simmer. Stir occasionally and cook approximately one hour. Add more water if necessary to retain volume. Season with salt and cayenne pepper to taste when finished cooking.

Place catfish fillets in a glass baking dish. Cover with Creole Sauce. Bake at 350 degrees F for 15 to 20 minutes. Serve at once with fresh steamed rice.

Pecan Crusted Fish with Peppers and Squash

12 oz. skinless catfish, whitefish or orange roughy fillets, about 1/2" thick (we've also used skinless salmon fillets)
1/2 c finely chopped pecans
1/3 c yellow cornmeal
1/2 tsp onion salt
1/4 c flour
1/4 tsp ground red pepper
1 egg
1 Tbsp water
2 small red and/or orange sweet peppers, seeded and quartered
1 medium yellow squash and one medium zucchini, each cut into 1/2" diagonal slices
1 tbsp olive oil
1/4 tsp seasoned salt

Line a 15"x10"x1" baking pan with foil. Lightly grease foil and set aside. Rinse fish and pat dry. Cut fish into 4 serving-size pieces. Set aside.

In a shallow dish, stir together flour and ground red pepper. In a small bowl beat together egg and water. In another shallow dish, mix together the cornmeal, pecans, onion salt. Dip one piece of fish in flour to coat lightly, shaking off excess. Dip fish in egg, then pecan mix to coat. Place coated fish on prepared pan. Repeat with remaining fish.

In large bowl combine sweet peppers, zucchini and yellow squash. Add olive oil and seasoned salt. Toss to coat. Arrange peppers and squash next to fish, overlapping veggies as needed to fit on the pan.

Bake uncovered in 425F oven for 20-25 minutes or until the fish just flakes easily with fork and veggies are tender.

Make a thick rub/paste out of a jar of Italian spices, Italian Dressing dry mix (like Good Season's) and olive oil. Make a paste with everything - taste to see if you have enough salt (i.e., dressing packet), spread on your catfish, place on a pan that has heated in the oven on about 375° for about 20 minutes? You will see the edges get a tad crispy and browned. Right before you place fish on cookie sheet (something with low sides) spread a little olive oil just where the fish is going to be.

You can also do this on a grill - just place your pan on the grill, heat up, and cook with lid closed.

Back
Top Bottom