Ceviche, Cebiche, Seviche

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Erik.f.Dowell

Assistant Cook
Shrimp Ceviche (Cebiche or Seviche)
An international seafood dish that originated in South/Central Americas, Latin & Caribbean cultures. Ceviche must be prepared fresh and strictly using only fresh ingredients to prevent food poisoning. Ceviche is made from raw fish that is marinated in citrus juice, with no cooking involved. The citrus acids will actually “cook” the fish in the marinade. Citrus juices used are anything involving acidic fruits, most popular are lemon and lime juice, but also include grapefruit juice and orange juice. There are several different types of variations of ceviche and have been dated back to nearly 2000 years ago. Ceviche is marinated in a citrus-based mixture, and the acids from the citrus make the proteins in the fish to become denatured and like alcohol, will kill any cell activity and problems dealing with food poisoning. Classically, it was told to let the diced fish rest in the acids for about 3 hours, but commonly today when you add the diced fish to the acids, by the time you add the rest of the ingredients, combine and serve to the table the dish will be perfect for consumption. Ceviche is commonly used with white fish, not fish with a dark, or red color of flesh. For example, you would make ceviche from shrimp, lobster, scallops, etc. and not from a tuna. Typically when the fish is marinated in the acids, the fish will turn a pale white color instead of being translucent, so if you used a red-fleshed fish, it would turn brown like an avocado or an apple would when exposed to air. ErikDowellCulinary.Tumblr.com or twitter- ErikFDowell.
Shrimp Ceviche
2 lbs Shrimp. Peeled, and De-veined
2-3 Tomatoes, small dice
1/2 of a Red Onion, small dice
1 Cucumber, small dice
12 lemons, juiced
6 limes, juiced
2 oranges, juiced
1 tsp. Apple Cider Vinegar
2 tbsp. oil
1 bundle of Cilantro, finely chopped
1 Jalepeno pepper, small dice (keep the seeds in if you like spicy, take the seeds out if you like it less spicy)
1/2 of a Red Bell Pepper, small dice
1/2 of a yellow Bell Pepper, small dice
1 Serano Pepper, small dice
Procedure
1.)[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Peel, De-Vein and chop the shrimp into small pieces. Use fresh shrimp from the market, or in the deli case in your super market, not frozen! (1/4-1/2 inch pieces, medium-large dice) and place into a tall bowl or even a large ziplock bag.
2.)[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Juice the lemons, limes, and oranges and place the juice into the bowl or large ziplock bag and cover. Place in the Refrigerator for 2-3 hours.
3.)[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]In a seperate bowl, combine all of the other ingredients…
4.)[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Small dice: the tomatoes, onion, peppers, & cucumber and finely chop the bunch of cilantro and combine.
5.)[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Add the apple cider vinegar and oil.
6.)[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Once the shrimp have reached a pale, white color, marry the two mixtures together.. Depending on how you want it, first strain the liquid from the shrimp into another bowl. Once you add the shrimp and toss it together, check the taste and consistency… You can add more of the juice that you strained off, or not.

[FONT=&quot]…Apparently the juice leftover from ceviche is a magical hangover cure, I have not tested this but please feel free to get back to me about that and let me know! [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]…Apparently the juice leftover from ceviche is a magical hangover cure, I have not tested this but please feel free to get back to me about that and let me know! [/FONT]

It's the Vitamin C in the juice that does it.

Thanks for the recipe. It looks good.

i love ceviche and can attest to the hangover cure somewhat, but it's still not a perfect remedy like all other hangover cures. it's very acidic so if things need to come back up, it"ll burn your esophagus nicely

in any case, thanks for the recipe, erik. i like that you juiced fresh fruit instead of using bottled stuff.

Garlic??? Aw man.. Is that something to use to make it? I didn't think about putting garlic in it, which is wierd because I love garlic and can pretty much eat it in excess with Anything. I literally take a garlic bulb, wrap it in aluminum foil and drizzle some olive oil inside, seal it off and bake it for over an hour... Or until the garlic becomes like a paste and is spreadable like butter... Put on toast and it's the heaven bells ringin'.

Hahaha in regards to the hangover cure.... If im hungover it's usually an all day event of complete terror. But, not always puking, so maybe I will try it if I ever have leftover ceciche juice hanging around on tap. I would imagine it would be terrible feeling to have come back up. But, no guts.. No glory.

Hahaha in regards to the hangover cure.... If im hungover it's usually an all day event of complete terror. But, not always puking, so maybe I will try it if I ever have leftover ceciche juice hanging around on tap. I would imagine it would be terrible feeling to have come back up. But, no guts.. No glory.
A tad to much info ekkers mate but have you noticed when you create a pavement pizza there is always cubed carrot in it:)

Wouldn't the parasites be there whether the fish was cooked or raw? In the case of Seviche I think that the citric acid that "cooks" the fish, would also kill the parasite. I will eat some raw fish, but frankly I just don't think it has much flavor until it is cooked. Since seeing "worms" in Cod, I prefer Halibut when I have fish & chips.

Sent from my iPhone using Cooking

The heck with that fish stuff! Use conch!;) J/K When is a ceviche not a ceviche? When it's a conch salad!

Craig

Over here some people are phobic about parasites in "raw" fish, your views please.
That is why you should only buy fish that is to be eaten raw from a trusted source. I LOVE raw fish, but will only eat it from restaurants I trust or from my local fish monger who I trust.

I eat a pretty good deal of raw fish... Mostly ahi tuna, salmon and eel...but the eel is typically smoked. It's a higher grade of fish, like a sushi grade. I went to a food show for class up to New York City and it dealt with a lot of raw fish and I tried a raw scallop. It was different, good...but kinda sketchy, but if it's fresh and a higher grade of seafood, typically it's okay. I didn't get sick. I also enjoy raw oysters a bunch. I know shrimp are not good to eat raw at all, buy my instructor told me he has eaten raw shrimp that was really fresh when he was traveling abroad overseas... And didn't get sick.
Conch is great but ive only had conch fried...conch fritters!!

Over here some people are phobic about parasites in "raw" fish, your views please.

Yup, I'm concerned too. That's why I freeze any fish that I'm going to use raw. A week in a home deep freezer should do it. It takes much less time in really cold commercial freezers. I googled this a while back, since I love gravad laks.

Are you a Billy Connolly fan. I'm pretty sure that's from one of his routines. Yes, I have noticed.
Yes Tax I fear I was but Al Murray The Pub Landlord has usurped that position, I would post some of his clips from youtube but the subject matter may ruffle a few feathers within our US brethren:LOL:

Not really sure about what you are talkin about but I'm not an uptight guy, so post whatever... Wont take it to heart haha

Fresh foods that are frozen and thawed typically lose some of their quality. It's not a food safety issue. However, freezing for 72 hours and thawing, completely eliminates the parasite issue.

I have found out that the benefits of eating a fresh fish/seafood over frozen fish/seafood is that when you get a frozen fish from a supermarket they are less healthier and do not have any nutrients in them. Fresh fish contain nutrients that are very beneficial to our health..example- Omega-3 fatty acids. Also, obviously fresh fish will taste better because you know it is not processed, atleast nearly as bad as a frozen fish...depending on where you buy the fish.. because it could have come from a fish farm..which then, it could be pumped full of hormones. But, if you buy off the docks; if your so lucky to live on a shore, or if you have access to a fish monger..thats the way to go!

Safety issue... i dont really think so, i mean you'd have to do some research, some fish you cant eat raw and you want to stear clear of eating raw at all. Some fish it is okay to eat raw...it really depends. I dont have a distinguished list in front of me, but i could probably find one.. Using a frozen fish would not hurt you though.

This is to my knowledge off the top of my head and what i found really quick... maybe someone else might know more on here?

Back
Top Bottom