Chicken fried lobster?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

smoke king

Sous Chef
Mrs and myself recently dined at Binions ranch in LV where she had "Chicken fried Lobster" Personally, I don't care for Lobster, but as one diner described it, it was "Heaven on a plate"

The concept seems simple enough to me, but lobster is kind of pricey to be experimenting with, IMO.

Any thoughts by some of you more seasoned chefs as to how you would approach this dish? I'd love to surprise her with it some evening.

And as always, Thanks for any help/advice you can offer-

Chicken fried lobster???? That quite possibly would be something on my MUST TRY list.

It probably would work best with the tails. Treat the tails like pieces of chicken. Coat in seasoned flour and deep or pan fry.

As a loyal true blue "boiled with melted lemon butter on the side" or "boiled & chilled with tarragon/garlic mayo on the side" girl, chicken-fried lobster sounds like blasphemy to me! LOL!!!

Personally, I think Lobster in general is best used as chum-but thats just me. A huge seafaring insect-period.

Judging from the folks raving about it, it must have been good. It appeared to have been pounded flat (I assume the shell was removed) then battered, floured (or vice-versa) and then pan fried.

Doesnt' seem to be any inet info on its preparation, but evidently its one of their most popular dishes!!

Oh my - this sounds AWESOME. My DH doenst like lobster either but he took me for a wonderful 4 course lobster feast on my 40th birthday (on St Martin, no less).

Sounds like it's simply fried lobster. Take flour, garlic powder, salt, pepper, and cornstarch, toss lobster in buttermilk first, then flour mixture, then into a deep fryer. You should put a stick through the tail to keep from curling or you can chunk it first. Serve with some homemade honey mustard...I'd definitely nix the white gravy like chicken friend steak is served with :LOL:

It probably would work best with the tails. Treat the tails like pieces of chicken. Coat in seasoned flour and deep or pan fry.
As opposed to actual chicken, from what I can find, it is much like Chicken Fried Steak which is round steak coated and pan fried served with gravy. The recipes I found call for rock lobster, which is not a "dip in melted butter" lobster, IMO. Chicken Fried Lobster is probably a really good use for rock lobster.

Thanks everyone. I originally saw it on the short-lived FN show "the Hungry Detective".

Since I'm not a Lobster fan per se, I did'nt pay a lot of attention, but I do remember the chef beating it with a mallet to flatten it-would that then mean it was a tail??

After that, I'm guessing, its prepared much like Chicken fried steak. I will figure it out (I'm pretty hard headed that way) but lobster tail is kind of $$ to be experimenting with. Not to mention, that fresh seafood is not all that readily available here in Nebraska, so my choices may be limited.

Like I said, half the people in our party ordered it, and all concurred with my DIL's evaluation that it was "Heaven on a plate"

It most likely was just the tail meat. Smacking any other part of the lobster would just obliterate it.

That said, this might be something I might try when lobster tails are on sale around here.

I would use monkfish, which is very similar in flavour and texture to lobster without all the expense. Plus, and it's just my opinion, lobster doesn't need a friend (like breading and gravy....), lobster just needs some butter and lemon.

I'd also second the use of Monkfish if it wasn't for that **** gray skin!!!!! And no fish markets around here remove it, which means it's up to YOU.

This entails a mindbendingly long experience with a sharp paring knife to remove it, & believe me, it's NOT EASY. At least not without sacrificing a certain amount of tasty Monkfish flesh.

If you're up to the task or can find Monkfish silverskin-free - go for it. Otherwise - stick to the lobster tails.

Although I could think of many other tasty ways to have lobster, I would have to try this one before judging it. Not really a fan of fried foods but I'd give it a shot.

I am a lobster purist. I want my lobster steamed or boiled with a side of melted butter. Never in a million years would I ever consider ordering something called chicken fried lobster. However, that does not mean that it would not be delicious beyond belief. If it were offered to me I would not turn it down and i don't see how lobster anything could be bad, but it would just go against my grain to actually order it first.

Oh Boy,
This is a good one. I think that a traditional chicken fried recipe would be a bit over powering for something as mild as lobster. Maybe slicing the tail meat into 1/2 inch pieces, pounding lightly and dredging the slices into a lightly seasoned flour/cornstarch mixture before frying in a mild flavored oil would work. Skewering the pieces as has been mentioned before would help prevent the meat from curling.

Back
Top Bottom