Coconut Fried Shrimp-TNT

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crewsk

Master Chef
Alix, I found it for you!

COCONUT FRIED SHRIMP

1 lb. med. raw shrimp, shelled and deveined
1/3 c. lemon juice
1/2 tsp. salt
1/3 tsp. ground ginger
3 tsp. curry powder
2 c. all-purpose flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1 1/4 c. skim milk
1/2 c. cream of coconut
4 oz. flaked coconut
Peanut oil for frying

Marinate shrimp in mixture of lemon juice, salt, ginger and curry powder for 1 or 2 hours. Drain well. Prepare batter of 1 1/2 cups flour, baking powder, milk and cream of coconut. Coat shrimp with remaining flour; dip in prepared batter, then dip lightly into flaked coconut. Fry in deep hot oil(350 to 375 degrees) for about 2-3 minutes. Depending upon size of fryer do not cook more than 8-12 shrimp at a time.

Ok, what is cream of coconut? I have everything else in the pantry ready to go.

Also, can I prep these and put them in the fridge for a while? Then pull them out and cook them? I am doing a big party and it would be good if I could prep them and leave them in the fridge overnight. What do you think?

Cream of coconut is the sweetened stuff that comes in a can that you use in Pina Colodas. I think there's a brand called Coco Lopez. I have made tham the day before & put them in the fridge to fry later & they come out great! They are good served with a pineapple salsa too.

This is really good with it too.
It's identical to Red Lobsters sauce.

1 C. Pina Colada Mix (Major Peters mix was used) {I used tgifridays brand}
1/4 C. Water
2 Tbs. Crush Pineapple (drained)
1 Tbs. + 1 tsp. Sweetened Coconut Flakes
3 Tbs. + 1 tsp. Powder Sugar
1+1/2 tsp. Corn Starch
3 tsp. Cold Water

Mix Pina Colada, water, crush pineapple, coconut, and powder sugar in a sauce pan. Heat on medium low temperature until sauce begins to simmer, stirring frequently. Let mixture simmer slowly 10 - 12 minutes. Mix corn starch and water together, add to sauce and blend well. Let mixture simmer for 3 - 5 minutes longer while stirring during and after adding cornstarch. Remove from heat and bring to room temperature. Sauce is served at room temperature

Back
Top Bottom