Conch Fritters Redux

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CraigC

Master Chef
The LEM grinder made fast work of the conch which was still partially frozen, so I didn't have to put some of the grinder parts in the freezer. I did two size dies, one for the fritters and one for chowder.

Fritter grind
picture.php

The other ingredients
picture.php

Finished Batter
picture.php

Raw Fritters
picture.php

Finished fritters with "Cold Fried" French Fries
picture.php

This is a friends recipe given to me back in the '80's when I was actively involved with recreational scuba. He passed away many years ago. He was a noted, published U/W photographer for "Skin Diver" mag. RIP Steve Lucas.

Steve's Conch Fritters

2 lbs conch, diced (I cut up in big chunks and use the food processor)
2 tubes Ritz crackers, crushed – I use about 1-1/2 tubes to start then add if necessary
¼ cup peeled, seeded, and diced tomatoes
¼ cup chopped parsley
½ cup chopped onion
½ tsp garlic paste (Lawry’s)
6 eggs, add 1 at a time
1 finely chopped pickled jalapeno (Old El Paso)

Mix together, form in aprox 1” balls, and deep fry until golden brown, 350-375. Do a test ball first to see if you need to raise or lower temp to get it cooked thru but golden brown. We've also made these with abalone.

These sound good...wonder where I could find a conch in Wyoming...I bet I could get some at H-Mart in Denver.

There was a shack on White street in Key West where the old black man made conch fritters and bollitos.
Best I ever had.
We make the conch fritters here at home and find the frozen conch meat at a fish market not very far away.
I love them.
There is a place right on the beach in St. Augustine Fl. They had them on the appetizer menu. They were quite good.

Had them in Key West. :yum: There's a nice chewiness to them, and the flavor is so good.

I think a lot of places are conched out, and have to import them from the Dominican. I know there's a lot of conch poaching going on in Cozumel.

Last edited:
If you had them after '77, the conch was not locally sourced. Damn Gov still hasn't lifted what was supposed to be a 10 year ban.:mad:

My mom used to own a rental house on Summerland Key. There was a restaurant/market called Monte's Seafood where we got the most delicious conch fritters with mustard sauce. It was originally a market built in front of their dock and then the restaurant was added on - just an enclosed deck with picnic tables. Yum.

I had conch fritters in Key West. I liked them, but can't say I loved them. Now, I am not big on desserts, but I had some righteous Key Lime Pie down there, and it knocked my socks off.

CD

How do you think this would work with canned conch (or whelk) Craigsy?
I think I saw live whelks, and frozen while conch in a Korean market recently. I wonder where they are from?

How do you think this would work with canned conch (or whelk) Craigsy?
I think I saw live whelks, and frozen while conch in a Korean market recently. I wonder where they are from?

The only conch I have ever used has been flash frozen, Queen conch, nothing ever from a can, especially products from that region. Then again, I am a seafood snob.:ROFLMAO: With the exception of raw oysters and on occasion steamed mussels, I don't eat seafood at restaurants.

If you had them after '77, the conch was not locally sourced. Damn Gov still hasn't lifted what was supposed to be a 10 year ban.:mad:

Has the population returned to levels that would allow taking of conch?

I had conch fritters in Key West. I liked them, but can't say I loved them. Now, I am not big on desserts, but I had some righteous Key Lime Pie down there, and it knocked my socks off.

Key lime pie is one of our favorites. I found a recipe on a bag of key limes and it turned out very good. Not as creamy as some I have had.
Costco key lime pie is very good and the price is very right.
Its not at all like the traditional. But I do buy at least one a year.
It never goes to waste.

To me, it's always interesting to see all the conch shells when we snorkel in Cozumel. Never have I seen an actual conch residing in the shell. There's always a drilled hole, and a little crab living in the empty shell.

Key West, the Conch Republic, has imported conch for eons.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom