Conch Recipes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am gonna have to recommend a good ol conch chowder, or my favorite, conch fritters. Both are easy to make, and very satisfying.

lemme see if I can fond the recipes.

Agree with Tattrat - both chowder & fritters are my favorite conch recipes.

Unfortunately, I can't give you my favorite recipes for these because they're in older cookbooks of mine that don't have recipes online that I can post a link to, so because of the trademark stipulations here, can't post them.

But web searches should send you to somewhat similar recipes.

Yum, conch fritters. My mom used to have a house in the Florida Keys and we always went to this place on the canal for dinner, with conch fritters and mustard sauce as the appetizer. It was originally a fishing company; they added a sales counter to the dock, then a deck, then covered the deck, so everything was a fresh as could be. Can't wait to see your recipe, Tatt.

well, off top of my head I can give you the basics:

AP Flour
egg
a little bit of baking powder
milk(whole)
salt+pepper
make all that into a thick sticky batter.

I used to use finely diced bell pepper, jalapeño, cilantro, red onion, cayenne, a little cumin, lemon zest, and lime juice., and of course, lots of chopped, WELL DRAINED conch.

use a small scooper to drop into fryer.

As far as dips, the sky is the limit, but I just like straight out of the bottle sweet Thai chili sauce.

Dashus - I ALWAYS shallow-pan-fried my fritters, & they turn out EXCELLENT. In fact, I made them that way for a catered party & they were crisp, greaseless, & had folks clamoring for more. This business of having to deep fry everything is nonsense.

Just put about a 1/4 to a 1/2 inch of vegetable or peanut oil in a deep skillet & heat it until a splash of water skips. Then fry your fritters away for about a minute or 2 & flip for a minute longer. Always add a few extra for you to taste test - but it shouldn't take more than 2 for you to figure out when to remove them for a brief draining before serving.

I will be whipping this up tomorrow! :chef:

Thank you all SO much!!!

Here's what I like. I whip up a pot every couple of weeks. About my chopped conch - it has texture. Most "guests" generally prefer it finely blended.

Like my colorization for easy grouping?

BAHAMIAN CONCH CHOWDER

2 tbsp olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
2 sticks celery, chopped
2 carrots, chopped
1 red or green pepper, seeded and chopped
1 medium potato, peeled and chopped
1 tsp dried thyme
¼ tsp crushed red pepper flakes
¼ tsp ground allspice
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 bay leaves

1 cn diced tomatoes
1 cn clam juice
2 cups chix broth

1 lb conch meat (about 4 queen conchs) chopped fine – I like to cut at least half into bite sized chunks

1 tbsp vinegar
6 sprigs parsley, chopped
4 scallions, minced
1 tsp salt
black pepper to taste

In a large saucepan , medium heat, saute' the onion, celery, carrots, red or green pepper, potato, thyme, red pepper flakes, allspice, garlic, and bay leaves for 5 minutes or more in olive oil until they begin to soften.

Add the tomatoes, clam juice, and broth. Heat to boiling, then reduce to simmer.

Add conch and simmer for 35 minutes, uncovered.

Add vinegar, parsley, scallions, salt, and pepper. Simmer for 5 minutes.

Serves 8​

i was just lurker surfing and found an old thread, but a good one.

i bought a large can of sliced conch to make fra diavolo, but now i may switch to a stew.

any more conch or whelk fans out there?

i've always wanted to try them grilled in their shells.

I love the taste of conch! Conch soup or conch fritters are delicious. I'd think the meat is probably too tough to grill in the shell though. If I had some I'd grind it up.

i was just lurker surfing and found an old thread, but a good one.

i bought a large can of sliced conch to make fra diavolo, but now i may switch to a stew.

any more conch or whelk fans out there?

i've always wanted to try them grilled in their shells.

BT, I am sure there is some place in the city you can get them in the shell, maybe even fresh/live. Grilling them in the shell, foot side up, with lime and sliced chili peppers is an all time fave. You can do the same with raw, thin slices, but the smokey goodness of grilled chonch is hard to , not to mention the wonderful "liquior" in the shell.

I prefer the conch fritters dutch oven style, they turn out the best that way, but I've never tried them with just a pan and oil, just as good though.
Hope you enjoy the fritters, and thanks for the other recipes!

We use to go (many many years ago) to a 2-story restaurant in Fort Lauderdale on the west side of Federal Highway called Dirty Earnies that served real homemade conch chowder & bimini bread.........what a treat

Can you still buy real conch (in a can or jar) ? Or is the conch protected (except in the Florida Keys?????)

We use to go (many many years ago) to a 2-story restaurant in Fort Lauderdale on the west side of Federal Highway called Dirty Earnies that served real homemade conch chowder & bimini bread.........what a treat

Can you still buy real conch (in a can or jar) ? Or is the conch protected (except in the Florida Keys?????)

I answered that question in your "Bimini Bread" thread.:) You cannot take conch in Florida, not even the Keys. Frozen, imported conch is available. Do you remember Tark's Clam Stand or South Port Raw Bar? Bimini Bread is flown in daily, if I recall correctly, via puddle jumper.

Back
Top Bottom