cooking catfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mickie

Assistant Cook
I was hoping to get some new or different types of recipes using catfish and or halibut. If you have any ideas I would love to hear them!

hmm.. only time i cooked halibut was using red wine vinegar and salt and pepper with some parsely and pan cooking it in olive oil

POACHED HALIBUT W/CITRUS BUTTER SAUCE

4 servings

1 ½ cups orange juice
2T lime juice
1/3 cup white wine
2T minced shallot
¼ cup butter
1 bay leaf
4 6oz.halibut fillets
Orange peel strips, chives for garnish

Boil orange juice and lime juice til reduced to 1/3 cup; boil wine and shallots in another pan til wine is reduced to 2T, about 3 minutes. Add reduced oj mixture to wine mixture. Reduce heat to low; add butter 1 piece at a time, whisking til just melted. Remove from heat; season with salt/pepper.
Bring large skillet of salted water to simmer; add bay leaf and fish; cover and simmer til fish is just opaque in center, turning once; about 5 minutes. Transfer fish to plates; spoon sauce over, and garnish with orange peel and chive.

Call me weird, but I could never see eating catfish. ANYTHING nasty in the water, it's gonna be concentrated in them.

I use catfish filets to make fish & chips if I can't get good fresh cod here.. which leads me to a question.

The beer batter recipe/s I have just says to mix the beer with the flour and/or cornmeal mix... maybe an egg, garlic powder/salt, etc.. but it doesn't say to WAIT after I mix the batter.

I was watching a show on TV (Paula something with phony exaggerated southern accent) and she said to wait THREE HOURS to allow the yeast in the beer to interact with the flour, etc... Then my next door neighbor told me that the yeast is killed in the process of making the beer and waiting didn't add anything... ???? And that I had to add baking powder or whatever to get a more "fluffy" coating...

I guess I could experiment but does anyone here make/use a beer batter and do you let it sit for a couple hours?

Depending on the beer, the yeast is not all killed. My SO brews beer and he can make a good yeast starter from the yeast left over in the bottom of a good beer.

Paula Deen doesn't have a fake southern accent.

And here's another vote for Blackened Catfish.... YUM!!!

ABSOLUTELY! The life of an open beer around here is usually about 3 MINUTES, not hours...

But then I was keying on the foodtv program and she clearly said "let it sit/rest for 3 hours so the yeast in the beer can interact with the flour" or words to that effect...

But yeast dies at about 120 degrees or so as I recall so I don't see how it could be still active in beer that's been "processed", however they do it... the beer must be heated above 120 degrees during processing I'd think? or some beer is..

oh well, just wondered if anyone here had any ideas.

I forgot foodtv usually has the recipes on their site...

This is the specific recipe under her 10/25 show...

Beer Batter
2 1/2 cups beer
2 cups all-purpose flour
Pinch Cajun seasoning
Pinch salt
Whisk together beer, flour and seasonings; let sit on the counter for several hours.

It is quite common when frying with a beer batter to let equal parts flour and beer set on countertop for 3 hours before using. It won't hurt anything, I promise.

One of my favorite catfish recipes is to take a packet of Italian dressing mix and mix with about 1/4 cup dry Italian herbs with enough olive oil to make a thick paste.

Coat catfish filets and bake in oven at about 375 - 400 for about 2o-25 minutes or until done. They will start browning along the edges.

I also do this on the grill - place the seasoned filets on a cookie sheet with sides, close grill, and cook for about 20 minutes.

No need to turn them over.

The yeast is added to the beer after brewing. When the brewing has been completed, the beer goes through a chiller then the yeast is introduced to the chilled beer (wort) to start fermentation.

Beers that have been pasteurized contain no living yeast. The modern mega brews like AnheiserBusch are pasteurized. I believe draft beer is not pasteurized. Also micro brews are likely to be unpasteurized and therefore will contain active living little yeasties.

And I don't even drink beer!!! I got that just from hanging around with my SO.... the beer connessiuer!

=)

Thanks, Spryte.. I think that answers my question.. it depends on the beer you use... and the beer I'm using I could let sit until hell froze over and it wouldn't add anything to my batter because the yeast is DOA :)

So, I'll add baking powder or some active yeast to my batter, then let it sit around for awhile... I'll try that next..
thank ye...

Did I hijack the thread too? Hummm...

Paula Dean's accent is as authentic as they come. There are several versions - and hers is one of them. I know many people with that exact same accent.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom