Crab Cakes with Sundried Tomato Sauce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

recipedirect

Senior Cook
  • 2 Tablespoons butter​
  • 1/4 cup onion, finely chopped​
  • 1/2 cup celery, finely chopped​
  • 1/4 cup plain yogurt​
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda​
  • 1 teaspoon seafood seasoning (such as Old Bay)​
  • 1 teaspoon Dijon Mustard​
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt​
  • 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper​
  • 1 Tablespoon parsley, finely chopped​
  • 1 pound fresh crabmeat, drained​
  • 1 cup buttery cracker crumbs​
Sauce:

• 1/2 cup chopped dried tomatoes​
  • 1 cup boiling water​
  • 2 cups half and half​
  • salt and pepper to taste​

Methods/steps

• Preheat oven to 450 degrees.​
  • Soak the tomatoes in the boiling water in a saucepan for 20 minutes. Bring tomato and water to a boil over medium heat; boil 1 minute. Drain well. Set aside​
  • Melt butter in a medium skillet over low heat. Add onion and celery and cook until tender. Transfer to a large bowl. Stir in yogurt, baking soda,seafood seasoning, mustard,salt, pepper, parsley and crab meat.​
  • Shape into 12 patties. Coat each patty with cracker crumbs. Bake on a lightly greased baking sheet for 10 minutes. Turn and cook an additional 10 minutes or until done.​
  • **While crab cakes are cooking finish up the sauce.​
  • Combine halt and half and the shallot in a heavy saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat stirring constantly. Boil until mixture is reduced to one cup. Stir in tomatoes salt and pepper. Cook until tomatoes are heated.​
  • Serve sauce over crab cakes or on the side.​

Interesting.

I like my crab cakes to be all crab. No onion, no celery, no nuthin' else except a dab of mayo to hold it together. and only jumbo lump crabmeat.

While I enjoy the flavor imparted by sundried tomatoes, for me it's too strong a flavor to accompany the delicate crab. I generally go with a remoulade. Maybe I'm too traditional? ...... nah! :LOL:

Now you've made me hungry for crab cakes!

...thank you, chefJune. I, too like mostly crabmeat but have always been a little confused as to which kind to get...Jumbo Lump it is!

Actually, for crabcakes, you don't have to go for 100% "jumbo lump", which is very pricey - even if you pick your own like I do sometimes since we have some excellent sources for the "real thing" down here in Virginia. Especially if you're making crabcakes for a group. I've never had any complaints about the crabcakes made from any of the recipes I've used implementing half lump crabmeat & half "special" (which is claw & smaller pieces of white body meat). Very flavorful, & the smaller pieces actually act as a "binder".

Quality is the key - not the size of the crabmeat pieces. And Remoulade sauce is okay as an accompaniment, but if the crabmeat is high-quality, nothing else is needed but a squeeze or two of fresh lemon.

And Recipedirect - I'll definitely be giving your recipe a try. It sounds delicious.

Back
Top Bottom