Crabmeat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

luvs

Master Chef
what besides basics like crabcakes or salads could i cook with lump crab?
thanks!

One of my favorites is "stuffed" flounder. I make them in individual oval casseroles. One small flounder fillet on the bottom, crabmeat stuffing in the middle, & another small flounder fillet on top. Delicious.

Hi luvs, can put it in a gumbo, make a bisque or soup with it (generally would use the shells to make a stock though), an omelet or frittata, a quiche, or in a chocolate cake. OK, OK forget the last one, I just got carried away. I love crab.

tee-hee auntdot, maybe not chocolate-crab cake, 'cept crab bisque sounds excellent! thanks.

Back in the day when we were raising 5 children, 4 of whom were boys (read that to equal "food vacuums"), this casserole was everyone's favorite. It gave us the taste of crab without breaking the bank. You might like it, too.

POOR MAN’S CRAB CASSEROLE
(Serves 4)

1 (16-oz.) pkg. frozen cod fillets, not breaded, thawed and drained

Crab mixture:
2/3 cup butter, melted
1 cup crushed herb seasoned stuffing mix, such as Pepperidge Farms
1 (6-oz.) pkg. frozen crab meat, thawed and drained
1 (4-oz.) can mushrooms stems and pieces, drained
1 egg
2 Tbsp. chopped fresh parsley
¼ tsp. salt
2 Tbsp. lemon juice
¼ tsp. hot pepper sauce

Topping:
½ cup crushed herb seasoned stuffing mix, such as Pepperidge Farms
2 Tbsp. butter, melted

In ungreased 8-inch square baking dish place cod fillets. In a 1½-quart bowl, mix together all crab mixture ingredients. Sprinkle crab mixture over cod fillets. In same bowl, combine all topping ingredients; sprinkle over crab mixture. Bake in preheated 350º oven for 30 to 35 minutes or until heated through and fish flakes with a fork.

It goes well with shrimp in casseroles and in a savory pie. Katie, your's posted just as mine did and I must say that recipe looks fantastic!!

thanks! i'm going to my get crab soon & can't decide what recipe, so if i get a couple containers.....:LOL:
culinary glory. thanks, guys!

BreezyCooking said:
One of my favorites is "stuffed" flounder. I make them in individual oval casseroles. One small flounder fillet on the bottom, crabmeat stuffing in the middle, & another small flounder fillet on top. Delicious.

Parents cooked that before, 'cept thiers were different, kinda. very delicious! maybe that'll be dinner.

luvs said:
thanks! i'm going to my get crab soon & can't decide what recipe, so if i get a couple containers.....:LOL:
culinary glory. thanks, guys!

Crab etouffee? When you pay for your crab you may decide on just one at a time.
I think the shining way to use crab is crab cakes. And with as LITTLE filler as is possible and still get them to hold together. We rarely venture beyond cakes, except at Thanksgiving I served crab stuffed mushrooms.

I also like hot crab salad sandwiches - made either like the ever-popular Tuna Melt, or like a lobster roll.

And here is my all-time FAVORITE crabmeat recipe, adapted from one of my favorite restaurants:

Crab & Artichoke Crostini.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

One 6-ounce can crabmeat
One 15-ounce can artichoke hearts, drained & chopped
2 Tablespoons mayonnaise
2 Tablespoons sour cream
Ground cayenne pepper to taste
Paprika (optional)
Approx. 2 cups grated Parmesan cheese
Six 1" thick diagonal slices of an Italian or French baguette

Mix first 4 ingredients together, along with a few dashes of cayenne pepper to taste. Stir in one cup of grated Parmesan.

Spread mixture thickly on top of slices of bread, top with additional cup of Parmesan cheese, & sprinkle lightly with a little additional cayenne pepper, or regular paprika.

Bake in oven for approx. 15 minutes or until heated through. If you prefer a browner topping, you can broil the pieces briefly.

Serve as an appetizer, or as a light supper along with a green salad.

wontons, you just use it in place of Shrimp/Prawn.
Or make crab seasame toast, it`s like french toast, you puree the crab with an egg and garlic, ginger, scallion, fish sauce (for the salt content), spread that paste on one side of thick sliced bread then cover it with seasme seeds. the runnyness of the mix sinks into the bread and binds the topping to it.
place it sesame side down into a flat pan on medium heat to cook through, then flip it over to toast the others side.

best served hot :)

Crab Rangoon...my daughter has a good recipe, if you need one.

Seafood Alfredo...I make a lighter version using white sauce.

Baked Crab Dip...I've posted that one here, under appetizers.

Hot Crab Dip

Hi,

Try a hot crab dip recipe for parties or whatever. I found one in a magazine and made it for a Christmas Party. Everyone loved it. I will see if I can find the recipe and post it.
TD:chef:

Katie E said:
Back in the day when we were raising 5 children, 4 of whom were boys (read that to equal "food vacuums"), this casserole was everyone's favorite. It gave us the taste of crab without breaking the bank. You might like it, too.

POOR MAN’S CRAB CASSEROLE

(Serves 4)​

1 (16-oz.) pkg. frozen cod fillets, not breaded, thawed and drained

Crab mixture:
2/3 cup butter, melted
1 cup crushed herb seasoned stuffing mix, such as Pepperidge Farms
1 (6-oz.) pkg. frozen crab meat, thawed and drained
1 (4-oz.) can mushrooms stems and pieces, drained
1 egg
2 Tbsp. chopped fresh parsley
¼ tsp. salt
2 Tbsp. lemon juice
¼ tsp. hot pepper sauce

Topping:
½ cup crushed herb seasoned stuffing mix, such as Pepperidge Farms
2 Tbsp. butter, melted

In ungreased 8-inch square baking dish place cod fillets. In a 1½-quart bowl, mix together all crab mixture ingredients. Sprinkle crab mixture over cod fillets. In same bowl, combine all topping ingredients; sprinkle over crab mixture. Bake in preheated 350º oven for 30 to 35 minutes or until heated through and fish flakes with a fork.

Katie, please tell me you had to make at least two pans of these. An 8x8 pan for 5 kids - 4 of whom were boys- plus you and Buck? Not in a million years.

You are right, mudbug. One preparation of the recipe would only have been a mere morsel to our food vultures. Still, they appreciated and enjoyed it.

Hee. Hee. Now most of them have families of their own and are learning what it takes to "fill" up offspring. And...it's more than $2.99 per gallon.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom