Crumbing fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

knight76

Senior Cook
Now for a confession.

I have never, ever cooked fish at home, ever and it is something I am beginning to think I should be doing. Sure, we get take away fish that it battered but that is about it.

So my idea is to start out small. No not pilchards, but fillets of fish like bream or snapper. Something anyway.

I am picturing something that is lightly crumbed and shallow fried, the crumbs look golden and I am thinking something of a garlic taste to the crumb or sauce or some garlic in there somewhere.

Anyway, am I crazy or does this sound like a decent combo. Anyone have a crumb recipe for this sort of thing with garlic etc?

Looking forward to starting my fish cooking life.

The easiest thing to do is to season some flour and dip your fish fillet in it, shake off the excess, then pan fry it for a few minutes on each side.

If you want a heavier coating, do the same with the flour, then dip into an egg wash, and then some bread crumbs. Then fry it.

Hmm, I was thinking along the lines of a crumb coating so just flour probably wouldnt be enough.

Can garlic be turned into a powder with a food processor or blender? Maybe I could turn fresh garlic into powder, and add this to the bread mixture.

Not sure how welll fresh garlic would work, seems like it would be overbearing on fish. Maybe some powdered garlic mixed in some crumbs or flour.

I will offer this, although I have not tried it. My DH got these shrimp down in PA, Texas, and they used those little goldfish crackers all mashed up to coat them. Some of the best breaded shrimp I have ever had! ( I know you are not talking about shrimp, just offered up the goldfish crackers idea. )

Last edited:
Can garlic be turned into a powder with a food processor or blender? .

Just get some garlic powder. Trying to make your own would probably involve dehydrating fresh garlic. Just putting fresh into a food processor would make a paste. (But a fine tasty paste :-p).

Hmm, what about adding some garlic paste to the egg mixture?

I would really only be after a mild garlic taste to it which I think would go well with the taste of fish.

When I saute fresh fish, I use oil/butter mixed and chop a couple of cloves of garlic and toss them in the pan. They caramelize a bit and taste lovely...but then, I don't generally bread the fish at all, just cook it as it is.

Code:
 So my idea is to start out small. No not pilchards, but fillets of fish like bream or snapper. Something anyway.

When you talk of these fish may I assume you are an Aussie???

I've just retired away from a Fish and Chip shop and would suggest

:- If you are doing it at home use an egg wash, whilst at work where we crumb at lot of fish we use a batter wash.
Use garlic powder in with the flour, as much as you want, coat the fish, then through the wash, then firmly press the crumbs in to the fish. No problems with shallow frying.

A batter wash is simply flour and water a little thicker than milk

If you are doing a lot of fish sub the flour with fine Semolina, that way the fillets will not stick together while they wait to go through the next process.

A plus for Snapper over Bream for me
Enjoy

Yeah, you caught me, I am an aussie.

I am really only starting out in fish and have had bream, flathead and whatever the regular fish is at the local fish and chip shop.

Looking forward to broadening my horizons.

Back
Top Bottom