"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood
Click Here to Login

Old 01-04-2020, 10:25 PM   #1
Certified/Certifiable

Delicate Rainbow Trout

I cooked up a 15 inch rainbow trout fillet for supper tonight. Of course I had to tweak the coating. I had a little heavy whipping cream in the fridge. I used the whipping cream instead of milk to make my egg wash.. I made a seasoned flour and dredged the fillet in it. Then, I put it into the large bowls with the egg wash and let it sit a bit. I turned it over and let it sit more. The flour was sticking nicely to the fish. I poured about an inch of oil in a pre-heated SS pan and let the oil come up to temp. I cut the fillet into two halves so they would fit in the pan and fried until medium brown on both sides. I'mm not saying this is better, just more delicate than any other coating I have used. It's not as heavy as a beer batter, and not as as corn meal. It is light enough in flavor to work well with mild fish, and still let the fish flavor come through. All in all, I'd say this was a successful experiment. I say, dige it a try with your favorite seasonings. It's worrth eating. The other nice thing about this was that unlike a plain flour coating, none of the coating came of in the oil, leaving it clean. Bonus; it didn't stick to the pan.

Here the egg wash recipe:
/4 cup heavy cream
large egg
Whisk together until smooth

Seasoned Flour:
/2 cup AP Four
1/4 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp. coarsely ground black pepper
1/4 tsp. granulated garlic powder
1/4 tsp. granulated onion powder
1/2 tsp. paprika
Whisk together to blend ingredients

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- https://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 08:42 AM   #2
Sous Chef

here's a veggie compot stuffed trout.
in stainless - for non-sticking the trick is dry skin & the right initial temp

Click image for larger version

Name:	trout2.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	38147
dcSaute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 10:29 AM   #3
Certified/Certifiable

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcSaute View Post
here's a veggie compot stuffed trout.
in stainless - for non-sticking the trick is dry skin & the right initial temp

Attachment 38147
Those look fabulous.

Seeeeya; Chieg Longwind of the North
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 10:50 AM   #4
Sous Chef

heehee. the inside was even more better!

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_2794s.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	38151
dcSaute is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flour, garlic powder, onion powder, pepper, rainbow trout, recipe, salt

Delicate Rainbow Trout I cooked up a 15 inch rainbow trout fillet for supper tonight. Of course I had to tweak the coating. I had a little heavy whipping cream in the fridge. I used the whipping cream instead of milk to make my egg wash.. I made a seasoned flour and dredged the fillet in it. Then, I put it into the large bowls with the egg wash and let it sit a bit. I turned it over and let it sit more. The flour was sticking nicely to the fish. I poured about an inch of oil in a pre-heated SS pan and let the oil come up to temp. I cut the fillet into two halves so they would fit in the pan and fried until medium brown on both sides. I'mm not saying this is better, just more delicate than any other coating I have used. It's not as heavy as a beer batter, and not as as corn meal. It is light enough in flavor to work well with mild fish, and still let the fish flavor come through. All in all, I'd say this was a successful experiment. I say, dige it a try with your favorite seasonings. It's worrth eating. The other nice thing about this was that unlike a plain flour coating, none of the coating came of in the oil, leaving it clean. Bonus; it didn't stick to the pan. Here the egg wash recipe: /4 cup heavy cream large egg Whisk together until smooth Seasoned Flour: /2 cup AP Four 1/4 tsp kosher salt 1/2 tsp. coarsely ground black pepper 1/4 tsp. granulated garlic powder 1/4 tsp. granulated onion powder 1/2 tsp. paprika Whisk together to blend ingredients Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North 3 stars 1 reviews