Favorite Fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I also like monk fish.. I can't afford to buy it for myself. I had it in a restaurant broiled.. with a very subtle seasoning.. I know there was lemon.. but couldn't make out the others.

Good Juliev, not many people separate fish from shell fish, I guess because they all come from the sea. I like you love salmon no matter what is done to it, even the patties made from canned salmon. I make a coating out of finely ground (use my microplane on frozen bagettes) bread crumbs, fresh chopped Italian parsley, sage, rosemary, lemon thyme, lemon zest, minced fresh garlic and ginger. Add to melted butter and make into a paste and pat on top of the fish after drying with a paper towel. I place in the fridge until the butter has hardened. I heat my cast iron skillet until HOT and add EVOO and a little butter and quickly place the fish, coating side down, onto the hot oils and sear for 2-4 minutes, you have to watch it as the coating will burn fast. When it is seared I turn it briefly and then place in my toaster oven to complete the cooking process. When done, I deglaze with white vermouth, chicken stock and when reduced add butter to thicken and some capers and pour over the salmon. I also like halibut, and I do a similar thing with it except I omit the ginger and add parmasean reggiano and broil. ALso love fresh Ahi Tuna/

norgeskog said:
Good Juliev, not many people separate fish from shell fish, I guess because they all come from the sea. I like you love salmon no matter what is done to it, even the patties made from canned salmon. I make a coating out of finely ground (use my microplane on frozen bagettes) bread crumbs, fresh chopped Italian parsley, sage, rosemary, lemon thyme, lemon zest, minced fresh garlic and ginger. Add to melted butter and make into a paste and pat on top of the fish after drying with a paper towel. I place in the fridge until the butter has hardened. I heat my cast iron skillet until HOT and add EVOO and a little butter and quickly place the fish, coating side down, onto the hot oils and sear for 2-4 minutes, you have to watch it as the coating will burn fast. When it is seared I turn it briefly and then place in my toaster oven to complete the cooking process. When done, I deglaze with white vermouth, chicken stock and when reduced add butter to thicken and some capers and pour over the salmon. I also like halibut, and I do a similar thing with it except I omit the ginger and add parmasean reggiano and broil. ALso love fresh Ahi Tuna/

Come on Norgeskog.. don't get my mouth watering now.. I just had dinner over an hour ago.. lol.. :LOL: you're making my pepperoni, cheese, and crackers look pretty sad!

meaning that's what I'm looking forward to for a snack.... the pepperoni, etc.

Juliev said:
norgeskog said:

Come on Norgeskog.. don't get my mouth watering now.. I just had dinner over an hour ago.. lol.. :LOL: you're making my pepperoni, cheese, and crackers look pretty sad!

Sorry Juliev, your pepperoni and cheese sounds good to me. Thanks for the compliment. Sorry I do not post amounts as I do not measure anything except when I make a cake or bread. I usually cook for myself and kind of eyeball the measurements.

I think the best recipes are the ones that aren't measured... learned from experimentation... I'm one for that.. I don't bake a lot.. I made PA Baker's scones the other day, and they were great!.. If I'm following someone else's recipe, I go by directions.

yes, I agree with you. Cooking is more art than science. Just go with the feel. Just like in life :)

best way.

I'm with Juliev. I love all fish. I don't get to cook anything other than salmon patties or salmon stew because hubby dosen't like fish too much. I do cook it when he's not around though.

crewsk said:
I'm with Juliev. I love all fish. I don't get to cook anything other than salmon patties or salmon stew because hubby dosen't like fish too much. I do cook it when he's not around though.
you inspired this topic crewsk!

It's too bad I don't get to eat what I catch more often. If we keep any fish that we catch they wind up going to my FIL. I do have a hybrid bass in my freezer that is about an ounce shy in weight of the state record here. Hubby caught it & wants to have it mounted. I'll be glad to get it out of the freezer. Hmmm...that would be a good Christmas present for him.

Go for it girl, surprise him with it for Christmas, but you gota do it now.

crewsk said:
It's too bad I don't get to eat what I catch more often. If we keep any fish that we catch they wind up going to my FIL. I do have a hybrid bass in my freezer that is about an ounce shy in weight of the state record here. Hubby caught it & wants to have it mounted. I'll be glad to get it out of the freezer. Hmmm...that would be a good Christmas present for him.
you should eat it!!!!!!!

Yeah, I know, but my problem is finding a trustworthy taxidermist. I have no experience with this kind of stuff. I don't want someone to ruin it & I have seen that happen to several friends deer heads & fish. It's sad to have something that is so important to you ruined by someone who is supposed to know what they are doing.

Back
Top Bottom