Fish Dinner, the Best I've Made

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
I went fishing yesterday with a friend on stream that I grew up fishing with my Dad. I caught only 1 legal speckled trout. The other fish we caught, weren't hooked bad, and we were able to return the to the streams. Sadly, the water level was very low in these streams, raising the temperature, I suspect, above the 62' F that is the limit for brookies. We fished 3 separate streams that used to be great trout streams. All of them had only a few inches of water running through them.

After completing the day, we went to a local supermarket, and I purchased a large fillet of frozen, pink salmon. I threw it to my fishing partner so that he could tell his wife that he "caught" a pink salmon.:LOL:

I returned him home, and we set 6:30 p.m. for a shared supper. Previously, I had purchased some cod, just in case we got skunked. It came in handy as my wife, and his also, don't like trout or salmon (how is that even possible:ohmy:?).

Here's what I made, and how I made it. The supper came out great, and was one of the best fish suppers I have ever made. The pink salmon was much milder than is Coho, or Chinook salmon. It's milder than lake trout. And yet, it had a flavor similar, if not identical to wild, speckled (brook trout.

The brook trout was simply cleaned, dipped in seasoned flour (1/4 cup flour, 1 tbs, Old Bay), and pan fried until golden brown in a couple inches of hot oil, drained on paper towels. I pulled the backbone out with the bones, and sliced it into two fillets (after it was cooked) to share with my fishing partner.

The cod was thawed, cut into half-inch cubes, pressed in paper towels to remove the excess water, then dipped in a light, tempura batter and fried until golden brown. They drained on paper towels and were lightly salted.

The salmon was cut into 4 fillet steaks. Like the cod, the salmon was pressed in paper towels to remove the excess water. I then rubbed the flesh side with EVOO, spinkled with S&P, then with dried basil. I baked them in a convection oven at 425'F. for ten minutes.

I used a new to me technique for the rice. I placed 1 cup of Jasmine rice into the pot, with 5 cups of water. I brought it to a boil and let it go over medium heat for another 15 minutes. I then drained and rinsed it with hot water. I let it drain in a wired colander for 5 minutes, put it back into the saucepan with 4 tbs. of butter, then fluffed and kept warm while I began plating the food. The green beans were simply canned green beans, heated in the microwave with a bit of garlic and butter. There was desert, and I will explain what I made for that in the appropriate subject field.

This meal came out so good. My fishing partner said that he didn't like salmon. He loved the pink salmon, as it wasn't fatty, with that strong fish-fat flavor that you get with larger members of the salmon and trout family. My friend at 2 of the 4 pieces, leaving me one piece for lunch today, along with the piece I had for yesterday's meal. I really like fresh, pink salmon, and brook trout of course.

Try fresh trout, or salmon with S&P, olive oil, and basil. I was surprised at how great the flavors were together. For me, it was much better than with tarragon, or lemon.

Seeeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the Nort

Sounds really good. I like to pan fry the salmon with lemon and butter, but I'm willing to try your idea!

I'm with the ladies - I don't like (actually, I detest) cooked trout or salmon. Both of those are delicious smoked. I also love gravad laks, so one of these days I will try making gravad trout.

I tried including a picture of the completed dish, plated and everything. But DC wouldn't let me include the picture. It said something about there wasn't some kind of security thing. I took the picture with DW's Iphone camera.

Oh well. The food was good.;)

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I tried including a picture of the completed dish, plated and everything. But DC wouldn't let me include the picture. It said something about there wasn't some kind of security thing. I took the picture with DW's Iphone camera.

Oh well. The food was good.;)

It was probably an expired security token. Just try again.

Bummed on the pics, CLW. Great write up, as always!

I love, LOVE, freshwater trout, and just think it is an under appreciated fish in some regards.

When I had Wisteria in Hampton Roads, one of my BEST SELLERS, Cornmeal crusted rainbow trout, stuffed with wilted spinach and toasted pine nuts, drizzled with browned butter. Fish was dressed, fins off, head on, dredged, into clarified butter wide open, and then in a separate pan, the spinach would be wilted, and butter browned, you get the idea. Check it out, you may dig it.

Bummed on the pics, CLW. Great write up, as always!

I love, LOVE, freshwater trout, and just think it is an under appreciated fish in some regards.

When I had Wisteria in Hampton Roads, one of my BEST SELLERS, Cornmeal crusted rainbow trout, stuffed with wilted spinach and toasted pine nuts, drizzled with browned butter. Fish was dressed, fins off, head on, dredged, into clarified butter wide open, and then in a separate pan, the spinach would be wilted, and butter browned, you get the idea. Check it out, you may dig it.

Sounds epic. I'll give it a try, when I can get my hands on more brookies, or 10 to 15 inch rainbows. Thanks TAt.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom