Fish tagine with fennel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Morocco

Assistant Cook
Ingredients:

1kg of white fish
500g of fennel
200g of green peas
1 head of garlic chopped
1 small bunch of parsley and cilantro
1 small glass of olive oil and cooking oil
1 teaspoon of paprika
1 teaspoon of turmeric
1 teaspoon of cumin
150 g of olives
2 hot peppers (optional)
1/4 teaspoon of spices for fish
bay laurel
salt and pepper to taste
To prepare the fish tagine with fennel:

Place a pot on the fire. Put the oil, salt, pepper, cumin, paprika, chopped garlic, chopped parsley and chopped coriander, turmeric. Let the whole cook for 5 minutes.

Add fish, fennel, peas, spices for fish, bay laurel, hot peppers, olives and a glass of water. Let the whole cook for 20 minutes.

Serve the fish with fennel tagine warm.

http://moroccan-cooking-recipes.blogspot.com

Last edited by a moderator:
i need to buy a tagine.

thanks, morroco. recipe copied and saved for that day.

I dont have a tagine either...can you use anything else to cook it in instead guys?
i've got a couple as you have probably seen....both in food photo's.used one for laila's lamb tagine & the other for paella.
you could use anything k(correct me if i'm wrong morocco....everyone else does...join the club!)that has a tight fitting lid.the idea of most tagine dishes is low/slow cooking & moisture/flavour/texture retention.the steam condenses in the "hat" and runs back down into the food retaining flavour/moisture.
tagines are unique in one important way tho'.laila pointed out that while the base,interior/exterior of the hat is glazed,the rim of the hat is unglazed where it makes contact with the base.as the steam condenses & runs down the inside it forms an almost airtight seal between the unglazed rim & the base.at one spot you will get bubbling between the rim & the base and that helps you adjust the cooking speed,without taking off the hat to check,based on the rate of bubbling.damn clever & a cuisine to rival real mexican imho!

It does sound like a very specific way of cooking Harry...I am thinking it would be worth buying one for dishes that require it :)

Did you get yours from just a kitchen shop?

It does sound like a very specific way of cooking Harry...I am thinking it would be worth buying one for dishes that require it :)

Did you get yours from just a kitchen shop?
yep.the biggie i did the paella in was from ikea.the smaller,red one that i did laila's lamb in is a le creuset that was a gift from someone who bought it in a cookshop in manchester
there have been a few discussions on tagines on dc k.because they are ornamental some are made to be just that....ornaments.you do need to make sure that the one you buy has been manufactured for cooking purposes thus the glaze,decorations or pottery/ceramics etc don't have any lead or other nasties in them that may leach out into the food

I love tagines! I suggest checking out the site, Tagines.com. I've ordered three from them in the past without complaint! The tagines are divided into cooking and serving tagines. They carry quite a selection, are lead free, and all things considered, (distance) they arrive in a timely manner. The site also offers recipes and seasoning and care instructons. It's a neat site. I've saved the fish tagine recipe, thanks.

why we cook in tagine ?
when you try you'll know why
you can cook it with anything else but the tagine make it's magical efects :D

yep.the biggie i did the paella in was from ikea.the smaller,red one that i did laila's lamb in is a le creuset that was a gift from someone who bought it in a cookshop in manchester
there have been a few discussions on tagines on dc k.because they are ornamental some are made to be just that....ornaments.you do need to make sure that the one you buy has been manufactured for cooking purposes thus the glaze,decorations or pottery/ceramics etc don't have any lead or other nasties in them that may leach out into the food

Thanks Harry...I will look out for one and make sure it is not an ornamental one :)

It's not just that some of them are ornamental and not food safe. There are some that are food safe, but you can't use them on a burner (hob), only in the oven. :wacko:

Good Morning and Welcome Aboard to D.C.

Firstly, since the Iberian Peninsula ( Tarifa, Cádiz in Andalusia ) is only 14km via Ferry, my husband and I have been to several cities in Morocco.

We had bought our Tagines ( tajines), both the oven safe type and the Decorative serving variety at the central Baazars in the cities we had visited over the years and have gifted our daughters, both married with children of their own, with large size oven safe Tagines.

In the autumn when we return to Spain, as we are at our home in south eastern Italia, I shall prepare tagine, as they are in our Loft in Spain.

Personally, I am quite a fan of the Lemon Chicken Tagine and Lamb & Dates too. Absolutely divine ... and heaven scent with all the lovely spices and perfume. How true it is, that once you taste a Tagine Dish, you shall know why the Moroccans devised this clay earthenware vessel to bake their chicken, lamb or fish or veggies in.

Thanks for sharing your lovely recipes.
Margaux Cintrano.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom