Fishcakes made with fresh trout

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MikeNFL

Assistant Cook
My friend and I came up with a way to not waste the meat after filleting the fish we catch. He came up with a fish cakes recipe using trout left over after taking a fillet from each side. We used to throw away the fish carcass. but now, using this technique and recipe, come up with 5 or 6 extra entree meals per summer. I just posted the recipe with pictures and it is quite tasty. It also incorporates may items from the garden. Its too long with the pictures to post here. I have read a lot here before and really like this site and forums.
Let me know what you think and any ideas to make them better.
Thanks.
Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
fishcakes

Thanks for the replays. They took off my link. If interested you can PM and I will send you my link. I don't make money and my website is for fishing and related topics with friends, so I thought it would be ok. I also enjoy cooking too.
Another Question: if anyone has a good way to smoke trout I would like to hear about that as well. I have never done it and have a new kamado smoker / grill.
Thanks.
Mike...

Last edited by a moderator:
First, I looked at the recipe and pics and I don't think it's too long to post on here. I've seen some that were about the same length and it's a really good recipe with wonderful pictures. I'd say post it.

Second, for those looking for a way to his blog you can find it on his profile page under the contact tab. Currently the recipe is the top post.

Mike, I think you can put the blog address in your signature also, since it's a non-profit blog. I'm not sure why the link was removed from your post but if you email or pm one of the mods I'm sure they can give you more details about what is and isn't allowed.

Yes. I can put my blog name in my signature. Thank you, and the moderator provided great help also. I apologize to all for distracting my message and recipe by having to figure this out during the thread.

MikeNFL said:
Yes. I can put my blog name in my signature. Thank you, and the moderator provided great help also. I apologize to all for distracting my message and recipe by having to figure this out during the thread.

We all start somewhere. It's all good.

And it just gets better, if you continue to give and take here at DC, Mike.

I've fried a basket of fish crackers, with fiery Thai & cool Ranch dip, for my basketball pals, too. Shredded smoked trout in cream cheese, plus aromatic herbs also makes for good chip dip.

Last edited:
Wow Mike!! Those fish cakes sound and look deeeeeeelectable !!

Thanks for sharing, and welcome to DC. Hope you stick around because you'll like it here....good food, good folks and good fun.

Mike the fish cakes will be made, but that Halibut (jews fish) I would give up various dangly parts of my anatomy to catch one like that.
Halibut is my favorite sea fish.:)

Fly fishing for trout is one of the few outdoor activities I indulge in. That's why, in my own narrow-minded way, I cringe at the thought of breading a fish that is flavorful and at its best when simply broiled with butter and lemon.

A light sprinkling with seasoned cornmeal is marginally acceptable, but covering the skin with "glop" instead of heating it to crispy perfection seems a sacrilege! :cry:

But this is the opinion from someone who is an old fashioned traditionalist. :mellow:

Fly fishing for trout is one of the few outdoor activities I indulge in. That's why, in my own narrow-minded way, I cringe at the thought of breading a fish that is flavorful and at its best when simply broiled with butter and lemon.

A light sprinkling with seasoned cornmeal is marginally acceptable, but covering the skin with "glop" instead of heating it to crispy perfection seems a sacrilege! :cry:

But this is the opinion from someone who is an old fashioned traditionalist. :mellow:

The recipe I looked at was showing a way to use up the extra meat left on the bones after filleting the fish, which I believe was a lake trout. I whole heartedly agree not to make a patty out of the whole fish, unless of course you really like fish patties ;)

I would add that, just like ribs, there's a lot of good tasty fish fat in the meat still attached to the bones. A shame to discard. Well worth cooking and scraping off a large fish, but not much worth the effort for smaller catches.

I would add that, just like ribs, there's a lot of good tasty fish fat in the meat still attached to the bones. A shame to discard. Well worth cooking and scraping off a large fish, but not much worth the effort for smaller catches.

There is a fish called a "Sailor's Choice" in Florida that is small, (usually about a half pound), and the meat is very white and sweet. Too small to fillet, but I've learned to poach them whole, (after cleaning), and then just lift the bones and skin out after draining the poaching liquid, (half water, half milk). The only thing left in the pan is the meat. Then I make soup, stew or patties out of the meat. Delicious!

Timothy next to Garcia's fish market on the river in Miami this is my next fav place to buy fish padeswood 020.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom