Frozen Calamari Steaks Online

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WhateverYouWant

Sous Chef
TLDR: So far I've found just this one source for these... and while the reviews on the site are overwhelmingly positive, they are sourced from China (which is a concern for me). Have any of you tried these, or have another online source you've been happy (ideally, thrilled) with?

And now for "the rest of the story" (and a bit of a rant):

Quite a few years ago we had a fine dining establishment (quite a rarity in these woods) open in the old, long vacant Aliotto's landmark property a short drive on Hwy 50 east from here. It was called Dante's on the River. Nice place with great food and staff, with mostly an Italian flair. But they had one dish, that once sampled, I could not resist ordering on just about every visit. It was a calamari steak. It reminded me of the abalone almondine I use to enjoy in So Cal as a kid, but even better as it was finished with a lemon-butter sauce with shallots, capers, and a hint of tomato and maybe even a bit of green pepper. I used to hit this place up once a week for dinner with friends, or for lunch by myself.

Unfortunately, the owner chose to throw in the towel after circumstances that arose from the never ending bay area to Tahoe (and back) tourist crowd, who saw fit to treat his restaurant and its very small septic tank and parking lot as a public rest stop.

After a seafood discussion last night, my fond memories of this place resurfaced, along with a deep desire to recreate his recipe, and enjoy it regularly again.

TLDR: So far I've found just this one source for these... and while the reviews on the site are overwhelmingly positive, they are sourced from China (which is a concern for me). Have any of you tried these, or have another online source you've been happy (ideally, thrilled) with?

We are 2 years removed from Monterey, CA.. Grew up with Monterey Bay squid..

I would order frozen 5lb boxes from a local restaurant/fish market.. Here is their web site.. Possibly close enough to order from for you..
At one time (until the 50's) the squid was from the bay but, it could well be from China now.. Always got perfect squid from them.. They are good people and there is contact info on their site. I'm certain they will tell you of their source..

Home - Sea Harvest Restaurant & Fish Market - Monterey Seafood

Ross

Last edited:
I would order frozen 5lb boxes from a local restaurant/fish market.. Here is their web site.. Possibly close enough to order from for you..

Thanks... just dropped them a line, although I see nothing on their web site indicative of them shipping frozen seafood, and that is way too long a drive to pick up locally. We'll see what they have to say.

I will never buy seafood from any Asian country, especially China.

While I agree (as in the OP) I am concerned about buying China sourced product, the question remains where else to buy?

I have nothing local for this, so am still looking for an online supplier.

hmmm... I wonder if the people of China refuse to eat seafood processed there?

Ross

I dunno, I mean... I don't want to sound snarky or anything, but I watch the show Bizarre Foods and I've watched Andrew Zimmern go to many different parts of Asia and I gotta tell ya, those people will eat just about anything. Like Andrew says, if it swims, flies or crawls, it's going on their plate.

I've never seen that show..

I am interested in the people though.. Do they appear to be ill or malformed or show any signs of poor nutrition, due to their eating habits? Just guessing but, I would imagine that the "if it swims" part of their diet would contain the same fish which some on this forum would not eat..

Ross

I've never seen that show..

I am interested in the people though.. Do they appear to be ill or malformed or show any signs of poor nutrition, due to their eating habits? Just guessing but, I would imagine that the "if it swims" part of their diet would contain the same fish which some on this forum would not eat..

Ross

Well, let's put it this way... some of the stuff they eat in Asia blew my mind. It's a great show. I watch it on Amazon.

They don't appear to be ill or malformed in the parts that Andrew ventured to, except for the really 'poor' areas where they basically survive on anything that moves just to stay alive. Bats, rats, bugs, lizards and even worms that burrow themselves into tree trunks and branches that they simply hack up with a machete or large knife, etc, and pull them out of their little hiding places. Sometimes they cook them, sometimes they eat them live.

The Asian markets are astounding, with all the stuff people peddle and sell at their own personal stands they set up. Whatever they can catch and sell, that's how a lot of those people make their money.

Linda, Just Cooking, you two are talking about something different than what people mean when they say they won't buy seafood from China.

Not wanting to buy seafood from China is concern about how the seafood was raised and packaged. It's a concern about additives and contaminants.

What you two are talking about are types of fish and parts animals. That's a question of cultural bias.

Linda, Just Cooking, you two are talking about something different than what people mean when they say they won't buy seafood from China.

Not wanting to buy seafood from China is concern about how the seafood was raised and packaged. It's a concern about additives and contaminants.

What you two are talking about are types of fish and parts animals. That's a question of cultural bias.

;) Just having some fun...

Plus... at my age I have few concerns about additives and contaminants.. :ermm:

Ross

At my age, I am old enough to remember the same attitude towards products from Japan, when seeing anything marked MADE IN JAPAN was suspect as far as quality and safety goes. Obviously attitudes have changed and the Japanese have run many American companies out of business. The same will happen with Chinese products as their quality increases, which it will have to do if they expect to compete in the world market.

Back
Top Bottom