Frozen salmon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I love salmon steaks, but they are super expensive now at my market. They don't freeze well (when thawed out months later and broiled). I don't mind that they're injected with orange-red coloring as long as that's not unhealthy.

Last edited:
That's really too bad Calson, I'm surprised your salmon didn't give you good results.

I freeze almost all my salmon and no matter how I cook them they turn out fine. Doesn't matter whether it's the grill, en croute, diced for patties, pan.
I make sure it has fully defrosted and at room temperature - then pat thoroughly dry with paper towels. Also be sure to wrap snugly before freezing, take it out of its plastic wrap and tray.

The only frozen fish I'll eat are those I have shot myself or from trusted friends. Your first clue that the "fresh" fish you bought was a bad choice was the packaging.;)

In a barrel? :huh:

Another clue is when you buy "fresh, never frozen" salmon in Kentucky. Same is true here in Dallas. "Fresh" fish just won't travel that far, and be sold for a reasonable price.

CD

The operative words are "fresh" and "reasonable price". You can get fresh, really fresh, fish inland, but the price is higher than what you would get close to the source. Back when we lived in OH I did food demos for a local grocery chain They made a big deal (rightfully so) about their new partnership in acquiring fresh fish from "Foley Fish". The Foley reps came in to explain all about their end of the deal and how the store was to handle the product, etc. Foley shipped the order in steel trays, one per fish type, that had been sealed and chilled, air shipped on ice, and upon delivery the trays of fish were to be nestled into ice beds in the case, then the seal could be removed. The fish never touched the ice, never had hands handling it that were not in gloves...all that good stuff. The fish was excellent, fresh, sweet...and pricey. But not ridiculously so. We took advantage of that department when we lived in OH.

Now I can get cod and haddock at really good prices...and I'd sell my first-born for one dinner of Lake Erie perch or Walleye...

That's really too bad Calson, I'm surprised your salmon didn't give you good results.

I must have froze it just before it was about to go bad. It was just awful tasting when I thawed it out and broiled it two months later. I'll try again and make sure to check the freshness and packaged date next time (and quick freeze it on a baking pan in the freezer).

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom