Frying Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vilasman

Senior Cook
I have some hopefully fresh, perch, that I just brought home and hope to cook for lunch, or some for lunch and some for dinner.

Normally i would pull out the deep fryer double bread them, flour mix, then egg wash, then flour mix... but I have gotten curious. I have a lodge cast iron grill pan and I am thinking that I want to try it, but I am wondering what if anything I should do differently if I try to cook the fish in it

I would oil or pam the pan very well, and be REALLY careful when you go to flip the fish, so the breading doesn't all stick to the pan.

I assume that you have seasoned the pan.

Lee

Rub them with olive oil, salt and pepper. Don't over-cook. Squeeze a slice of lemon over the top before serving. Serve with baked potates and asparagus spears.

Don't feel bad Dove - someone asked about the flavor or "flying" fish the other night and got a couple of answer on how to "fry" fish. :wacko:

I use both my regular & grill Lodge cast iron pans to fry fish all the time & they both work great. Just make sure to spray or brush some oil on the pan before use, even if the pan is seasoned.

I don't bread or coat my fish at all if I'm using the grill pan, because then you can end up with floured/breaded areas that don't get cooked. The fish itself cooks, but the coating can remain untouched by the raised grill parts.

If I'm using the regular cast iron pan, I use just a few tablespoons of oil & just use seasoned flour or cornmeal on the fish - no breading or batter. A couple of minutes on each side & they're done.

Back
Top Bottom