Gluten free flour for fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I thought I explained earlier in the thread but can go into a little more detail.

Potato starch is fine like corn or tapioca starch. It has the same properties so will thicken liquids when cooked and can be combined with heavier rice flour to make a gluten-free all purpose flour mix (mine is rice flour, tapioca starch and potato starch in a 3/1/1 ratio).

Potato flour is more the consistency of ground potato flakes. It is a little heavier and can absorb liquid without being cooked (like flour, but can not be used as flour alone because it absorbs too much).

Here's a link that may help The Food Allergy Queen: Potato starch vs. potato flour

I thought I explained earlier in the thread but can go into a little more detail.

Potato starch is fine like corn or tapioca starch. It has the same properties so will thicken liquids when cooked and can be combined with heavier rice flour to make a gluten-free all purpose flour mix (mine is rice flour, tapioca starch and potato starch in a 3/1/1 ratio).

Potato flour is more the consistency of ground potato flakes. It is a little heavier and can absorb liquid without being cooked (like flour, but can not be used as flour alone because it absorbs too much).

Here's a link that may help The Food Allergy Queen: Potato starch vs. potato flour
Thank you LP. I've been having trouble making rødgrød (a Danish fruit pudding - Rødgrød - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). I thought the recipe called for potato flour, but I finally checked an online Danish food dictionary and "kartoffelmel" is potato starch, even though it sounds like it should be flour (kartoffel = potato, mel = flour). No wonder my fruit pudding wouldn't set.

So what can I do with potato flour? I don't need it for gluten free, we eat gluten.

I tried using corn flour to dredge a piece of Dover sole. The flour didn't taste grainy like the white rice flour did, which is good. My challenge now is how to get the fish to crisp up a bit around the edges. I used my Calphalon anodized pan. Any ideas?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom