Gluten free flour for fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kitchengoddess8

Sous Chef
Does anyone know of a good gluten free flour that can be used to coat fish in sautées? I tried rice flour, but it's a bit grainy. I've also tried almond and coconut flours, but they definitely change the flavor of the fish. Wheat flour would be ideal except for the fact that I'm gluten sensitive. Suggestions?

I have a friend who uses instant potato flakes. You could put them in your blender to make them like flour. Have you tried corn flour or fine cornmeal??

I have a friend who uses instant potato flakes. You could put them in your blender to make them like flour. Have you tried corn flour or fine cornmeal??

No, I haven't tried corn meal or corn flour, but those sound like great options! Do you mix anything with the cornmeal?

You could mix any type of herb with the corn flour --- parsley, thyme, etc. don't forget a little salt and pepper unless you salt and pepper the fish first. I just remembered that Trader Joe's sells almond flour --- sole almondine? You could also mix together different "flours" for different flavors. Let us know what works for you.

You could mix any type of herb with the corn flour --- parsley, thyme, etc. don't forget a little salt and pepper unless you salt and pepper the fish first. I just remembered that Trader Joe's sells almond flour --- sole almondine? You could also mix together different "flours" for different flavors. Let us know what works for you.

What is the best way to coat the fish? On one of Martha Stewart's shows, she sprinkled the flour over the fish. I've also seen chefs put the flour on a plate and roll the fish in it.

The one I have found to be the best for fish is sweet rice flour, though you can't always find it. It doesn't add a sweet taste and is finer and "stickier" than regular rice flour. Potato starch or mashed potato flakes are also very good. Cornmeal gives a nice texture, but I use it as a coating and usually use the sweet rice first.

The one I have found to be the best for fish is sweet rice flour, though you can't always find it. It doesn't add a sweet taste and is finer and "stickier" than regular rice flour. Potato starch or mashed potato flakes are also very good. Cornmeal gives a nice texture, but I use it as a coating and usually use the sweet rice first.

Are potato starch and potato flour the same thing?

I like to lightly brush the fish with oil -- I use olive oil. I guess melted butter would be good, too. I put the flour on a plate and lightly press the fish into it. If you put the coated fish on a rack for a few minutes before you sauté, it allows the coating to dry a little and adhere better to the fish. Good luck!

Are potato starch and potato flour the same thing?
No, they are not, but if you try to find what the difference is, you get confused real quick. There are recipes that say "potato starch not potato flour", but other than that I use them interchangeably and don't have a problem. The flour is a little more dense and the starch resembles tapioca or corn starch.

Potato flour or corn flour would work , but can you not buy ready mixed packs of gluten free flour for cooking and baking ? I buy Doves farm gluten and wheat free flour , self raising and plain and they can be used in all cooking . If not available in shops near you , you could probably get them online .

There are many brands and variations of gluten free flour out there. If you are baking and cooking extensively gluten-free as I and many others here do, they can be great. I have one from my organic store that I use for basics, and I make my own mixes as well.

For a simple item like dredging fish, I think just using something like corn or potato starch that you might have on hand is easier. And yes, you don't have to dredge fish.

I've noticed that a bit of flour helps hold together delicate filets like flounder. Plus it tastes yummy. On another forum many people recommended Julie's all purpose gluten free flour. If I can't find it, I'll try corn starch, and make sure it's made from non GMO corn. I once tried chickpea flour, but it tasted a little weird.

Well I just bought the King Arthur GF flour at my local health food store, but I won't be using it for fish because it's so pricey. Corn flour might be my best bet.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom