Grilled Mahi Mahi

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
mollyanne said:
Risotto is a great idea. And I would top the grilled Mahi-Mahi with a Fresh Mango Salsa and add a fresh green side.

+1 on both counts.

One of our former fave restaurants, now closed because they paired away everyone's favorite dishes, including Mahi Mahi with mango salsa, served it this way.

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]MAHI-MAHI IN COCONUT CARAMEL SAUCE[/FONT]​

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Marinade:[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]4 Tbs sesame oil[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]¼ cup lemon juice[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]1/3 cup lite soy sauce[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]1/3 cup hoi sin sauce[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]2 tsp turbinado sugar[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]1 Tbs chili garlic sauce[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]2 tsp Chinese five spice[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]1 tsp ground ginger[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Sauce:[/FONT]

• [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]2 cups demerara sugar[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]1 1/2 cups coconut milk[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]3 tablespoons Asian fish sauce [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]1/4 cup minced shallots[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]1 Tbs minced fresh ginger[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]1 clove garlic, peeled and minced[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]fresh ground black pepper[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]2 scallions, white and green parts, sliced very thin[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Marinate mahi-mahi fillets for at least one hour, but no more than 4 hours. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]In a sauté pan or skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat until shimmering. Dry fish fillets with paper towels, season with salt and pepper, dredge in flour, and sauté until cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Fish is cooked through when it flakes easily with a fork. Remove fish and keep warm.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Place sugar in a 10- to 12-inch frying pan over medium heat. Whisk sugar until it is melted and dark amber colored, 3 to 5 minutes. Add 1/2 cup coconut milk. Mixture will bubble vigorously. Stir over medium heat until caramelized sugar is dissolved. Stir in fish sauce, shallots, ginger, garlic, and remaining coconut milk and stir over medium-high heat until desired thickness. Pour sauce over plated fish fillet, then garnish with green onions and sprinkle with fresh ground black pepper to taste. [/FONT]

Serve with brown rice with carrot and Asian style vegetables

A friend of ours in Hawaii used to roll the mahi in mayo (and seasonings) before grilling. It was wonderful. Taught me to use mayo instead of an egg wash sometimes before breading things. Works well.

Risotto is a great idea. And I would top the grilled Mahi-Mahi with a Fresh Mango Salsa and add a fresh green side.

I agree. I make my mango salsa with nectarine and pineapple infused with a little rum. The taste is excellent over a thicker fish.

Oh SLoB! That sounds fabulous!

I sometimes roll the fillet in coconut & macadamia nuts, then saute until just barely done. I serve it with a mango/pineapple salsa with lime & cilantro.

I think it's interesting that so many of us reach for mango when we cook mahi mahi.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom