Grilled Pancetta Wrapped Scallops with a Pineapple Mojito Vinaigrette

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ironchef

Executive Chef
Grilled Pancetta Wrapped Scallops with a Pineapple Mojito "Vinaigrette"

Yield: 6 Servings

Ingredients:

24-30 large Diver Scallops
24-30 medium length slices of pancetta, or 12-15 long slices of bacon cut in half
Fresh Cracked Pepper
24-30 wooden toothpicks soaked in water

1 c. Fresh Ripe Pineapple, small dice
1/3 c. Fresh Vine Ripened Tomato, seeds removed, small dice
1 Tbsp. Ginger, minced
3 oz. Light Rum
4 oz. Grapeseed or other light, neutral flavored salad oil
2 Tbsp. Fresh Mint, finely chopped
1 Tbsp. Fresh Cilantro, finely chopped
2 Tbsp. Fresh Lime Juice
1 Tbsp. Honey
Kosher Salt to taste
Fresh Cracked Pepper to taste

Method:

In a sauce pan, combine the rum and the ginger and bring to a simmer. Flambe the rum to remove most of the alcohol. Remove from heat and let cool. In a mixing bowl, combine the rum, lime juice, honey, and herbs. Drizzle in the oil and whisk until incorporated. Fold in the pineapple and tomatoes, season with kosher salt and pepper, and chill. More lime juice to taste can be added as well.

Pre-heat a grill to medium high. Season each scallop with fresh cracked pepper, and wrap with pancetta, using the toothpicks to hold the pancetta in place. Cook the scallops until medium or just past medium in doneness, about 3-4 minutes per side. Serve immediately with the pineapple vinaigrette.

YUM! The pineapple vinaigrette sounds fantastic! Seeing as I'm not a seafood person, would you think this would work well on skewered grilled chicken? (I'd like to incorporated the pancetta, but am afraid it would burn. Any ideas?)

jkath said:
YUM! The pineapple vinaigrette sounds fantastic! Seeing as I'm not a seafood person, would you think this would work well on skewered grilled chicken? (I'd like to incorporated the pancetta, but am afraid it would burn. Any ideas?)

You could render the bacon, then use the bacon along with the fat in the vinaigrette, but you'd have to serve the vinaigrette warm or else the bacon fat will congeal.

Back
Top Bottom