Help with Mahi!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bstorm

Assistant Cook
Can anyone give me a recipe for Mahi? The only way I've had it is at Pappadeaux (the Orleans fillet)....my fave! I've also had it fried, but I was wondering how it might turn out on the grill and how we should prepare it.
Thanks!

Oh, marinate it in soy sauce--probably like the post above. It is wonderful grilled--far better than fried.
Makes good fish tacos also.

When we were in St. Lucia, Mahi-Mahi was the "fish of the day" at virtually every restaurant we frequented. They sure do eat a LOT of it down there - lol!!

Anyway, when I make it at home, it's nearly always one of the following 2 ways (which also work for bluefish & other stronger fish, though you might not care much for them).

The first way is simply to buy a "jerk" seasoning rub - every supermarket will carry at least one brand, but taste a little before you use it since some of them are saltier than others. Sprinkle/rub onto the filet & bake at 350 until cooked through (about 20-25 minutes depending on the size/thickness of the fish). Serve with lots of lemon.

Second favorite way is "Greek Style". Layer filet with thinly sliced red onion rings, dried or fresh chopped oregano, freshly ground black pepper, paper thin slices of fresh tomato, & liberal crumbles of feta cheese. Bake at 350 until cooked through, & if necessary stick under the broiler for a few minutes to brown the cheese &/or cook/crisp the vegetables to taste. Serve with lots of lemon.

We may be having mahi more than once this week!! Thanks for the suggestions....they all sound wonderful! I have a feeling my husband is going to jump on the "Greek Style" method first! It will be a nice change from Red Snapper....not that anything is wrong snapper!!! My youngest daughter damands it "blackened" every time! I can't count the times my husband has been up cooking it for her even at 10:00 at night. That is her favorite "midnight" snack! Once again, thanks! Oh, and keep 'em coming!

My son loves snapper and Mahi Mahi too. We grill the Mahi covered in a paste I make out of fresh lemon juice, Old Bay Seasoning, a little mayo, and some pepper. (Dill or Parsley sometimes) It comes out moist and yummy. Also, I dip it in an egg wash with lots of hot sauce and then bread it with spicy breadcrumbs and oven fry it. It makes a great hot fish sandwich.

This past week has been really hectic! We finally got around to fixing the Mahi last night and I wanted to tell everyone thanks for all the suggestions! My husband ended up making fish tacos with the Mahi. They were wonderful! He grilled it and then we placed the meat in a soft corn tortilla and sour cream mixed with taco seasoning, monterey jack and cheddar, and some lettuce. We still have 1 big fillet left so I'm sure we'll use one of the above suggestions on that one.
My husband also experimented with a sirloin steak. He cut a pocket into the steaks and filled them with monterey jack, diced jalepenos and diced purple onion. They were really good, but there was room for improvement. We both decided on marinating the steaks first and adding some bacon to the mix. It was definately a nice change from the "same old thing"!!

I love mahi mahi with a teriyaki glaze so tastey. I prefer my fish on the non steaky side of things so I cook it at about 320ish. I combine "kikkoman teriyaki glaze" with maple syrup. I could eat that combination of sauce on anything i think heh. Also if you want to spice things up a bit thow some Sriracha in the mix of things. Some minced garlic or shredded fresh ginger would also be tastey in this. Also about 2 tablespoons of soy sauce is nice in it as well. I tend to not use receipes and throw things together with wondergul results. Wrap it in tin foil cook it up and enjoy:)

You've gotten some wonderful ideas here. I had it last week breaded in crushed macadamia nuts...It was outstanding...It was first dipped into garlic butter, then into the nuts and pan sauteed..It was served with an avocado butter...I had my doubts when I ordered it, but was glad I did after that first bite.
kadesma

It holds up well on the grill so long as you do not over cook it.

Personaly I prefer mine pan seared and finished in the oven, Topped with a salsa of green apples, jicima, cilantro, honey, mirin, and some diced jalapeno, and some reduced dark rum.

The dark rum reduction can be finished with butter for a rum bure balnc too. A great simple sauce.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom