How do you cook scallops?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SierraCook

Master Chef
I had scallops for the first time last night while having dinner at my parents. My mom took the scallops and wrapped them in bacon. She then sprinkled them with herbs and spices. They turned out delicious!! Except the bacon was not getting very crisp. So, she took them out of the oven and finished them in a saute pan.

I really liked the scallops more than I thought I would.:) This means alot from the person who hates seafood. So, I was wondering how you cook scallops?

I am a purist when it comes to cooking them. All I do is put them under the broiler until the tops get golden brown. I might sprinkle with a little course salt and/or butter and/or lemon, but that is it.

I love them many other ways, but when I cook them that is how I do it.

I loved them broiled, or in a seafood kabob on the grill. Fried is pretty good as well.

Brush with melted butter, sprinkle on a bit of garlic, and either place on bamboo skewers for the grill, or pan fry. Be careful not to overcook as this can make them a bit chewy. Scallops are wonderfuly sweet, with little fishy taste, when fresh. Treat them gently as the flavor is not strong. They are also great dipped in a tempura batter made with equal parts four and cornstarch, with a bit of baking powder, salt, and an egg, and water. Dip and deep-fry until golden. Serve with sweet & sour sauce.

They are also great broiled, mixed into chowders, poached, etc. Scallops are very versatile.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I prefer dry sea scallops and I pan sear them in a little oil/butter. Deglaze the pan with a little lemon and white wine. A simple and delicious meal.

I either dredge in flour or not - just depends - and either way I pan saute then in a bit of butter and olive oil. I first salt and pepper them and squeeze a bit of lemon on them.

I have also smoked them in a stove top smoker and used them in tortellini with Alfredo Sauce and Andouille sausage.

the only way i like scallops is raw, in sushi, called hotategai.

when cooked it reminds me of fat, so i call it sea fat.

lol sc, sorry. it's quite tasty fat tho... try it as sushi sometime, it's really good.

anyone ever get skate (a fish, punched out in rounds to look like scallop) instead of the real thing? i've heard of unscrupulous mongers and restaurants trying this, but i've never had it (i hope).

Scallops

first I would like to say hello, Yes Scallops are great, however there are many kinds of scallops, There what we call 10/20 dry, U10, Gulf Bay Scallops and Nantucket Bay Scallop. Each of them are different in flavor. I find that U10 Dry Scallops are the best for grilling. I like to mix it up a little like make a chipltle Mash Potato Puree and a Pico De Gallio Salsa Here are the recipes:

Smoked Chipotle Mash: 4People Yeild

6 Peeled and Diced large Potato's (Large)
2 tbsp Smoked Chipolte Puree
4 tbsp Butter
1 tbsp Kosher Salt
1c Heavy cream
1tsp White Pepper

Pico De Gallio

5 Red Beef Steak Tomato's Seeded and Diced
1 Jalapino Seed and Diced Small
1 clove garlic diced small
1 juice of fresh lime
4 tbsp Olive oil
5 tsp Fresh Cilantro

Mix all ingredents and allow to marinate for 1 hour or more

To cook scallops heat grill, season scallops with salt and pepper to taste. Oil grill well, cook scallops about 5min on each side. Remove scallops, place potato puree in center of plate, scallops around to potato, and top each scallop with Pico De Gallio. Good Luck:chef:

lol.. oh buckytom.... you may have just ruined scallops for me. Know every time I see them I'll think of globs of white wiggley fat.

Sierra, here are two of my favorite scallop recipes (and don't worry, they're fully cooked in both!):

Pan-Seared Scallops
½ lb scallops
Skim milk
2 Tbsp flour
1 Tbsp olive oil
½ c white wine
2 Tbsp or 1 bunch green onion
2 tsp parsley
Lemon wedges

Soak scallops in milk and roll in flour. Sauté in olive oil until almost done. Transfer scallops to a dish, pour white wine into skillet. Place scallions and parsley in skillet with wine. Season with pepper. Simmer for a minute or so, add scallops and cook until scallops are done. Serve with lemon wedges.

Shrimp and Scallops
1 lb scallops
¼ c flour seasoned with salt & pepper
1 Tbsp EVOO
2 Tbsp butter
1 large shallot, finely chopped
1 c dry white wine
1 (14 oz) can chopped tomatoes in juice
12 leaves fresh basil, shredded or torn
2 cloves garlic, chopped
½ tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1 c chicken broth
1 lb large shrimp, cleaned
1 lemon, zested
Crusty bread, for mopping

Lightly coat scallops in seasoned flour. Place large skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil and butter. When butter melts into oil add scallops. Brown scallops 2 minutes on each side. Remove from pan.

Add an additional drizzle of oil in the pan and add garlic, shallot and crushed red pepper. Reduce heat a little and sauté, 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Add wine to pan and free up any drippings. Reduce wine 1 minute, then add chicken broth and tomatoes. When liquid comes to a bubble, add shrimp and cook 3 minutes.

Return scallops to the pan and cook 2-3 minutes longer. Transfer to a warm serving dish and top with basil and lemon zest.

Pass plenty of bread to enjoy the juices.

They are also really good in chowder. Add them right at the end so they don't get tough. If they are large, they can be cut in smaller pieces before adding them.

Sara

Sara said:
They are also really good in chowder. Add them right at the end so they don't get tough. If they are large, they can be cut in smaller pieces before adding them.

Sara

What a great idea!
Do you combined them with clams or just do scallop chowder?

I've always combined them with clams, but you could do just a simple elegant scallop chowder. That would be equally delicious!

Sara

SierraCook said:
I had scallops for the first time last night while having dinner at my parents. My mom took the scallops and wrapped them in bacon. She then sprinkled them with herbs and spices. They turned out delicious!! Except the bacon was not getting very crisp. So, she took them out of the oven and finished them in a saute pan.

I really liked the scallops more than I thought I would.:) This means alot from the person who hates seafood. So, I was wondering how you cook scallops?

That is strange.

Folks generally saute first, then finish in the oven -- not the other way around.

Back
Top Bottom