How do you like your salmon done?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

college_cook

Head Chef
Ah, good old corn-fed Indiana. I was a restaurant last night with my parents, and it was a more modern place than many around, and the decor and pricing reflected it. It was also not very far off from Chicago, where many more places know the right way to do something.

So since I was near a major metropolitan area instead of in the middle of the corn, I decided now would be a good time to get some fish. When the waitress took my order I asked how they cooked the salmon. She replied: "Oh we do that on the wood grill." Shocking, because I definitely read that on the menu 30 seconds before I ordered. "Let me clarify; what doneness do you cook your salmon to?" "You mean like, do we leave it rare? Oh no no no, it's WELL-done, it ain't gonna be like, raw or nothing in the middle."

I know that lots of restaurants have a policy of cooking all fish to well, and I suppose I can even understand it. But here we are, 30 miles from a huge city and in an otherwise great place, and they are shocked to hear that some fool out there wants his salmon medium, and don't he know he could get that salmonella- no thats from chickens.... don't he know know he could get that chickenella from eating under-done fish? Crazy boy must have himself a death wish.

The ordeal just made me laugh a little, and I thought I'd share. Despite being well done, the salmon was still good, btw.

Rather than assuming they cooked their fish well done because they are yokels, consider the restaurant was probably smart enough to be catering to their regular clientele's preferences.

For some reason underdone tuna is good to me but not salmon. I don't like it overcooked but I do like salmon cooked through .

OK, I'm weirder still. I like sushi salmon mmmmmmm, but when its cooked, I don't like any mush in the middle. Weird huh?

I don't think that is weird at all Alix. I am not crazy about cooked salmon at all (although I think it is growing on me), but when it is cooked I do need it cooked through all the way.

No I never did. It has been very difficult for me to get fish lately. My local super market decided it was a good idea to get rid of the fish counter and only sell pre-packaged fish in styrofoam trays with plastic wrap. You could not pay me to eat that junk. It is not like I live in a land locked state either.

We do have an excellent fish monger just a few miles from my house, but the close before I get home from the office and my wife is not confident enough to know how to buy fish so she won't do it. My fish eating is all done in restaurants now.

Tell her to go try it. All she has to do is give the fishmonger a big smile and have DD smile too and he'll give her the nicest salmon he's got! Just tell her to do the poke and sniff test. (Nice and firm, bounces back and doesn't "mush" and doesn't smell too fishy) She's branching out in the kitchen, this will be a killer confidence booster.

BTW, I edited in the recipe link for the wild west salmon in case anyone is interested.

How Do You Like Your Salmon Done

Till it flakes with a fork. Lately, I've been steaming it w lemon or lime juice etc. Want to get around to trying/making cedar-planked salmon.

Salmon is "supposed" to be cooked medium rare unless otherwise noted. Overcooked salmon , well thats a crying shame. Some people dig it though. Different strokes for different folks.

I prefer my salmon raw - but if it HAS to be cooked I like it rare to medium rare and then tented for about 30 minutes while I get the rest of the dinner done. It finishes cooking and ends up being juicy and just to the flake point. A nice raspberry glaze is great on it!

I like salmon all ways- Raw, medium, cooked through or in salmon cakes. Last year, we tried it on cedar planks and I was impressed, they added an interesting flavor that I never got by grilling it in my fish cage.

Last edited:
I like mine medium & my husband likes his "slimey" when we go to our favorite place we usually get it slimey - so I guess they listen to him and not me!! More to the point I have noticed more servers ask how you want it done. If they don't ask we ask them!!

Long time since I've been here, just lurking I guess.
Barbara

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom