How do you make YOUR tuna salad?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You're not alone Lynan. I can't stand water-packed tuna - regardless of the brand. In my opinon, it's impossible to doctor it up to where it doesn't have the texture of straw. Give me vegetable-oil packed, or best of all, good-quality Italian olive-oil packed - but of course the pricey Italian-packed is never used for plain old mayo tuna salad - lol!!!

16 oz. tuna - in sunflower oil - drained
6 oz. summer sausage - diced
2 tbsp. real mayonnaise
1 tsp. salt
2 tbsp. slivered almonds
1 tsp. dijon mustard
3 tbsp. pickled capers
1 pkg. shrimp-flavor Ramen noodle soup w/flavor packet
5 tbsp. honey
1 cup seedless grapes

Combine all ingredients into casserole dish. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Serve warm.

I use water packed tuna, add chopped red onion, chopped apple, celery and enough mayo to moisten.

My preferred method:
Tuna well drained, Best Foods Mayo (which I can't get on the East coast and Hellman's just isn't the same), chopped black olives, red onions, chopped saurkraut, chopped dill pickles, finely diced apple, chopped banana peppers, pepper (I find that there's enough flavor and no need for salt) all served up on grilled sourdough with some Edam cheese. YUM!!!! Now I'm hungry!!!

I made tuna salad for dinner and got to wondering how others make theirs. Something so simple can have a lot of varieties in how it's made. Example being I have a friend that always puts chopped apple in hers.

Mine is tuna (always water packed), boiled eggs, dill relish (must be dill or DH gets grouchy), onions, and mayonnaise (not salad dressing).

What about y'all? :chef:

Since I'm a tuna lover, another take on tuna salad I like is a tuna waldorf salad. I don't follow a recipe, but go by feel/eye - Add chopped apple, raisins or dates, chopped walnuts, mayo, a pinch of cinnamin, a splash of lemon juice, & diced celery or green onions/scallions. Mix it all up & place on a bed of greens and surround with grapes. Another way I like tuna salad is served stuffed in a tomato. Recently posted a recipe for *Monster Muenster Tuna Melt. Mix chopped artichoke hearts into the tuna mix. Very tasty. Lemon Pepper seasoning adds a little zing to the same old same old.

*http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f23/monster-muenster-tuna-melt-tnt-42765.html

Last edited:
I use white tuna packed in water, chopped apples, onions, celery and sometimes pecans, but usually not. Add just enough mayo and lemon juice to mix well.

Quick and ez....

1 can tuna (your choice..water, oil, etc)
chopped red onion
a few good shakes of Badia's "Complete Seasoning"
mayo

Reading some responses, I'm a little confused. Is this a thread for tuna salad sandwiches or a tuna salad?
There's a fast food joint that my DD's taken me to. Their tuna is served on ww bread and the inside mixture contains walnuts/craisins/green apple/tuna/celery/onion/s&p. Gad it's good and when my diet is screaming at me to get back on track, a half of one of these is a true winner.

I guess I win the boring prize. I just like mine with tuna and miracle whip.

Not really.

I do the same thing; except I sprinkle a bit of sugar on the tuna, then mix in a bit of chopped sweet pickles.

...stir, stir, stir, add bread and "viola", a tuna salad sandwich.

And just in case anyone is wondering, yes, I do know what a viola is.

tuna
Hellman's mayo
sliced green olives
chopped onions if kids are not eating

sometimes I substitute softened cream cheese for the mayo and eat it on crackers

I like it super simple: good oil-packed tuna, dash of mayo, S&P.

Egg salad the same thing ~ eggs, dash of mayo, S&P.

:heart:
Z

1 can chunk light tuna packed in water, drained... but still moist
chopped celery
finely chopped green bell pepper
finely minced celery leaf
finely minced fresh culantro (not cilantro... which is a different herb)
ground black pepper
Hellman's mayo
small amount of milk to moisten (about 1 teaspoon)

Mix ingredents. Chill and serve with lettuce when making a sandwich on bread, toast or rolls. Is also good served on crackers as a snack.

rock, msg isn't poison. in fact, less than 10% of the population has any kind of aversion to it, contrary to their own beliefs (if that's possible). or in other words, it makes stuff taste better to a whole lotta folks, much like salt.

for my tuna, i like to get the best quality canned tuna that i can find, then add minced celery, diced onion, and just enough mayo for a binder. the mayo shouldnt be so much as to change the overall color of the tuna salad from beige to white.

I've been buying the packets of flavored tuna,
Lemon pepper or Garlic Herb...
then a little mayo, onion, green or red pepper, celery, shredded carrot.

Has to be ice cold and on bread. Can't do a tuna melt.

Water packed, drained Tuna
Chopped bread and butter pickles(for most of my life, my mothers famous)
1-2 teaspoons of the pickle juice
Miracle Whip
Mix together and serve on white or wheat toast with American cheese and a very thin slice of sweet onion.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom