How do you thaw squid?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

texasgirl

Master Chef
It's frozen solid. Do I put in the frig overnight? If it's not thawed, can I put it in water tomorrow morning to thaw it completely? Do I fry the tubes AND tentacles?

I just put it in a colander in the sink...

Yep fry the tubes and the tentacles.

Have fun!!

I know.. it doesn't sound healthy.. but thats how I do it.. and I'm still alive and kicking.

You could do it in water though.

It doesn't need to be running water. Just put it in a big bowl of cold (yes cold) water. Change the water every half hour, but for squid it should not take more than one water change I would guess.

My first reaction is that I would thaw it in the trash can! :sick: But to be fair, I've never tried it, so I guess I will have to try it sometime.

:) Barbara

Barbara L said:
My first reaction is that I would thaw it in the trash can! :sick: But to be fair, I've never tried it, so I guess I will have to try it sometime.

:) Barbara

:LOL: :ROFLMAO: :LOL: It's okay Barbara!! They're good fried. You should have seen dh when he tried them. He was eating them like they were candy and when he was on his last piece, I asked him if they were good, he said, heck yeah, so , I told him what it was and it flew out of his mouth onto the floor:ROFLMAO:

If you are a mom you've done plenty of more nasty tasks. There should be no smell it is just gooey and slimey. It is well worth the few minutes of playing in the goo for the succulent flavor and texture of fried calamari. MMMMMMmmmm....

Aurora said:
If you are a mom you've done plenty of more nasty tasks. There should be no smell it is just gooey and slimey. It is well worth the few minutes of playing in the goo for the succulent flavor and texture of fried calamari. MMMMMMmmmm....

Many a nasty job!! I'm sure it will be worth it! Thanks Aurora!:mrgreen:

To revive that 'sea' flavour when thawing fish and seafood, place the seafood in a dish with some MILK and leave it in the fridge overnight (or until thawed), turning once or twice.

If you try to thaw it in fresh water, it will have that awful 'frozen' taste to it.

If the squid is cut up, it won't take very long to thaw. In hot weather, definitely thaw it in the fridge, not at room temp.

The soaking milk can be used to make a white sauce, or for poaching, if desired, but don't store it! Use it in the same meal as the thawed fish/seafood.

You can cook and eat the tube and the tenticles but not the stuff in between. The head with the beak and the ink sack should be tossed.

Back
Top Bottom