I just can't bring myself around to eating seafood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Kev, I am both shocked and dismayed!!!:LOL: You could put some hot sauce on it. :-p Now doesn't this look good!?!?? (Wish I liked spicey food.)

Avenue Food

Btw, I think we have the same hairdresser. :ohmy: Cute kitty.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by BreezyCooking
Saying that you don't like any "seafood" is ridiculous after stating that you do like squid. Squid IS seafood. Period. And if you enjoy squid, there are unbelievable numbers of other similar-tasting seafood that you'd also enjoy if you would just try them.
heh.. actually I only mentioned I tried those foods. Not that I actually liked them. :) Errrr.. at least I am pretty sure I didn't. :p

YT2095 said:
how about Fresh water foods, like Salmon?

Yeah I have to say that the fish smell really puts me off. I scuba dive and I have seen what swims in the waters (mostly refering to sealife) and its not always pretty but it is cool! ;)

I think if I am to try ANY kind of seafood it would be (oh no! here comes the bad spelling) halibet. I hear thats the best. Funny that they also tend to be one of the weirdest things in the sea.

Sincerely,

Kevin in Alaska

kitchenelf said:
Since you ARE an adult you have two choices - work very slowly to get over whatever phobia/fear you have and try it or just don't eat it. A lot of people have a fear of the unknown - ESPECIALLY when it comes to food. Remember, other people have eaten whatever it is you fear and survived (well, except that one guy..........JUST KIDDING). I have a friend who is very sensitive to the smells of seafood and she just cannot eat it. If it is some sort of fear/phobia you really are missing out on some great food and I suggest you take tiny steps and start trying things. If you've eaten gator, reindeer, squid, etc. all you just said is invalid :LOL: and you are just doing yourself an injustice by pinning this fear on seafood! Unless you were once a chew-toy for a whale then seafood has never done anything to you to make you fear it :LOL:

HEH.. funny post. I do remember when I was young feeling really bad for Jonah when he was swallowed by the whale. Not sure if that has a connection. :wacko: No scares at least and it might have been so tramatic that I have succussfully pushed that experience deep. :rolleyes:

Sincerely,

Kevin in Alaska

Robo410 said:
Vegetarians eat life forms that can neither call for help or run away.

(However, some of them can fight back...onions use chemical warfare for example. And artichokes are armour plated!)

As you can eat meat which has no appearance of the animal, how about fish prepared likewise, say a salmon filet or halibut filet...a nice square of fish, no bone or life shape about it?? Just wondering.

Also very funny post. Thats my problem. I am so sadistic that I eat life forms that have NO chance of saving themselves. heh :ROFLMAO:

Actually though the only problem I have with eatting animals 'besides the fact' the fact that I might not like flavor, texture etc... is when an animal is in danger of becomeing extinct (spelling?) that would be my moral issue besides making sure they are killed humanly.

I do agree that animals and plant life is bascilly a resource either given to us 'OR' thought as part of the food chain. Either view works for me.

Robo410 said:
his second post after aunt dot's ...NO NO NO you did the thing you shouldn't, call it a critter, give it a personality. (almost a quote.) than he says above in next to last paragraph how he likes meat prepared so it is without bone or shape of the original etc. It is a reasonable assumption although Kev also states taste smell etc, but all that could be part of the sea animal issue and seein git in a fresh state. We don't know where in alaska he lives. On the coast or quite aways inland. Makes a difference.

I live in the interior of Alaska. Put your finger to the right of center and you will probably squish me on the map! :LOL:

KevInAlaska said:
Actually though the only problem I have with eatting animals 'besides the fact' the fact that I might not like flavor, texture etc... is when an animal is in danger of becomeing extinct (spelling?) that would be my moral issue besides making sure they are killed humanly.

I do agree that animals and plant life is bascilly a resource either given to us 'OR' thought as part of the food chain. Either view works for me.
Then is it just the fear that you may not like it that keeps you from trying it?

GB said:
Breezy, I interpreted what he said about being a veggie and not eating anything that resembled an animal as being a moral issue. Also the following...

While he does not come out and say it is for moral reasons, that is what I gleamed from his statements. I NEVER said that this is what he said. What i said was that what I got from his posts etc. I could have misinterpreted what he said, but I never said he actually said that.

So I have explained my statements. Where did you get what YOU said?

Well for the good of all arguments... most of us but mostly be are not professional writters. So sense there is no tone of voice or facial expressions to help besides these silly yellow faces, its easy to type something wrong or read some wrong etc etc etc.

Wait!!! I don't do anything wrong! :angel::angel::angel::angel::angel:

Sincerely,

Kevin Alaska

OO-Kay Kevin...

Here's what ya do. Get yourself a nice piece of fish to grill/broil/fry etc. Cook until it is done! Get out your bottle of Tabasco Chipolte Hot Sauce and smother the fish in it! Grab a cold beer, and go for it!:LOL:

Enjoy!

KevInAlaska said:
Also very funny post. Thats my problem. I am so sadistic that I eat life forms that have NO chance of saving themselves. heh :ROFLMAO:

Scientists have came out and said (on BBC news, Science Weekly, & more) that natural sea life has only about 50 more years of existance left! SO don't let fear of extinction scare ya! I'm eating whatever I can while I still can!

BBQ Mikey said:
Scientists have came out and said (on BBC news, Science Weekly, & more) that natural sea life has only about 50 more years of existance left! SO don't let fear of extinction scare ya! I'm eating whatever I can while I still can!

OH GOD! heh.. way too funny! sounds like a riot way thinking... don't you think? :-p

Uncle Bob said:
OO-Kay Kevin...

Here's what ya do. Get yourself a nice piece of fish to grill/broil/fry etc. Cook until it is done! Get out your bottle of Tabasco Chipolte Hot Sauce and smother the fish in it! Grab a cold beer, and go for it!:LOL:

Enjoy!
what is this hot sauce thing you people keep talking about?!

How about this, drink 4 beers (give or take. I like give) then the fish--->cook (WELL)---> smother?

heh.

Sincerely,

Kevin in Alaska

PS... did I forget the load of melted cheese?! Cheese seemse to go good with lots of stuff! Well or by it's self.

KevInAlaska said:
OH GOD! heh.. way too funny! sounds like a riot way thinking... don't you think? :-p

Naw im serious doggie. No need for panic fish farms will stay in biz. I just like the way the sea effects the taste of them fishies, and want to enjoy it before they can no longer survive in their natural environment like so many other species.

99% of all life that has ever existed on this planet is extinct.

you may well like halibut or Dover sole. exquisit mild flaky tender white fish. best with white wine butter and fresh herbs.

Well, nobody says you have to eat fish, or seafood or whatever.
You don't want to then don't!
In a way I think I understand, although there are only 2 things I won't, can't eat:
raisins and raw oysters.
Other then those I would (and did) eat anything. And am happy to say so far didn't hate any food I tried.

So, don't worry, eat what you want and forget the rest.

Back
Top Bottom