I just can't bring myself around to eating seafood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
mitmondol said:
Well, nobody says you have to eat fish, or seafood or whatever.
You don't want to then don't!
In a way I think I understand, although there are only 2 things I won't, can't eat:
raisins and raw oysters.
Other then those I would (and did) eat anything. And am happy to say so far didn't hate any food I tried.

So, don't worry, eat what you want and forget the rest.

Heh.. raisins seems little silly to stay from besides the stupid little stems you find on them still often. :dry:

Well I do NOT mean silly as a put down. I am FULLY behind you on the oysters. Some how eatting something with its digestive track seems over the edge to me. So that about includes all shell types and I would guess lobster and shrimp to. Am I correct in that?

BBQ Mikey said:
Naw im serious doggie. No need for panic fish farms will stay in biz. I just like the way the sea effects the taste of them fishies, and want to enjoy it before they can no longer survive in their natural environment like so many other species.

99% of all life that has ever existed on this planet is extinct.

I agree that fish farms will be around longer if there ever comes to a point that the ocean runs out of fish. But can you think just how pricy the fish will be for sub standard type fish.

And yes 99% of all life that has EVER existed are already gone from this planet. I understand that. lets not rush it to 99.9%. Besides I would rather that happen natually through natual events and less human interation.

I think that sense humans are the only one with the tools to destroy or preserve the enviorment then we have more of a responsibility to be the sheperds of the earth. That is just me. I am sure though you are just having fun and please do not take any of my words as aguring etc. I am just furthering the conversation is all.

I felt I had to say this because you can't hear me if I was speaking etc. so no tone of voice, facial expressions etc to aid. Personally I enjoy when people can poke fun and ONLY mean it in a fun playfun manner. So if you or ANYONE else ever takes that from me please read into it a more sarcastic or playful manner. I am too easy going for that. Besides if I wanted to argue I would make sure to letyou know that it WAS an argue... All that said was 'just' for the books! :angel:

One last sappy note... I have enjoyed this whole website (although no auto spell checking sucks because of my lack of interest in spellings for the first 20 years of my life!) and everyone is really really cool and supprisingly as cool as the more geeky group I have chatted with on an electronics forum I have been involved in for a few months now. Did I say geeky!? :whistling

Kevin in Alaska

OH THE PRESSURE!!!

I feel like I am surrounded by peer pressure! :shock:

Okay it is not like I expected anything different starting this thread like I had in the area I did.:LOL:

But I will wait until my brother-in-law gets back from Homer, Alaska from his deep sea fishing this coming week and when they prep up some halibut (spelling!!! sorry) I .... .... (starts to bead sweat).. I ... might... get close to the dish they so love... yeah.. I will even dish it out to everyone. Hows that sound? :yuk:

BABY STEPS!!! BABY STEPS!!! BABY STEPS!!!

and if I drink a few beers (or 4 or so!:rolleyes:) and then pull out the tabasco chipolte hot sauce and drinch the fish dish in it... I might even put some on a fork!

MAN PUSHY PEOPLE! :bangin:

heh.. I will let you know if anything ever happens from that.

sincerely,

Kevin in Alaska

Won't try eggplant?! You can't be serious!

GrillingFool said:
Fish isn't bad at all. :)

But I still won't eat eggplant. ;)
I'm 42, and I said the same thing for years. A few years ago a friend made thin sliced eggplant sauteed in a little olive oil and garlic, and one bite was all it took to hook me.

Heck, I never realized how great brussels sprouts were until I was almost 40!

Don't rule it out. You might one day find that a food prepared a certain way will change the way you think of that food. I didn't understand until I was an adult that a lot of my distaste for certain foods came from growing up with a mother who was wonderful in all other respects but couldn't cook a lick! It's probably blasphemy to say your mom was a lousy cook, but all six of the kids agreed on that, and most of us have over-compensated by learning to cook well as adults.

Give that eggplant another chance some day. It's one of those wonderful foods - like mussels, or fiddlehead ferns, or pheasant - that might some day just grab you when you're ready for it, but not before!

[By the way, Kevin, I also live in Alaska. If you ever want to try some great halibut, go to Momma O's and get a halibut sandwich - grilled, or battered and fried - and give it a shot, or try the blackened halibut pizza at the Moose's Tooth. Either way, you might find out how delicious it can be.]

Last edited:
Bibi said:
[By the way, Kevin, I also live in Alaska. If you ever want to try some great halibut, go to Momma O's and get a halibut sandwich - grilled, or battered and fried - and give it a shot, or try the blackened halibut pizza at the Moose's Tooth. Either way, you might find out how delicious it can be.
Oh where is this "Momma O's" in Alaska? I live in Fairbanks, Alaska. Your probably talking hour a coastal town aren't you? heh... Knowing my luck it is.

Kevin in Alasak

PS... If you come to Fairbanks around August 3rd through the 11th, come to the Tanana Valley State Fair. I have my food booth there during that time. Ask around for the deep fried pickles which I have new this year. Across from the Lion's Bingo Hall. :chef:

oh yeah, don't forget to ask for Kevin and introduce yourself. :)

Cheers! :cool:

Momma O's

Momma O's is on the corner of 26th and Spenard in Anchorage. Two blocks away is Ray's, for the best Vietnamese food in Alaska, and a block the other way is the Bear Tooth, where the garlic fries are stupidly awesome (as is their beer, which they brew themselves).

I wish you were going to be doing the fair in Palmer, Kevin. I'd definitely see you there, but I just don't get to Fairbanks much because it's getting so expensive to drive!

I can't imagine life without shrimp.... or crab... or cod, batter dipped and deep fried with chips. My word, someone who lives where the best crab (Alaskan King) in the world come from and doesn't take advantage of it???

But there is a lot to be said for a good steak too. Or an inch thick pork rib chop. Or a beer can chicken, hickory smoked on the grill.

Shoot... I made myself hungry just typing that. Time to fix dinner... some Alaskan salmon a friend just brought back from the Kenai. :chef:

Back
Top Bottom