"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 07-22-2012, 03:44 PM   #21
Executive Chef
 
Harry Cobean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Manchester UK
Posts: 2,913
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
As long as you follow the rules, all you need is a recreational fishing license.

Presently, both claws can be taken if legal size. It is suggested that only one claw be taken. The claws will be regenerated at the next molt, but I have no idea how many molts to get a legal size claw again.
hmmmm,cheers craig.as i say " you lives & learns"

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Just a few notes about fish safety: Tilapia is cheap because 95% of it is imported from Cihina, where environmental controls are questionable. I haven't eaten tilapia in years. Flounder and salmon cost just a bit more and are healthier. Also, if you're concerned about mercury at all, avoid large predator fish like swordfish, grouper and mackerel. Since they eat smaller fish, the mercury load in their body is larger and thus more likely to cause problems. Here's more info: The Super Green List from Seafood Watch

Seafood Watch also has downloadable guides for buying safe, sustainable seafood and a mobile app for looking them up when you're in the store.
the tilapia we used to buy over here were farmed in the carribean then recently farming has started in the uk.i think the tilaps we buy now are uk farmed in lincolnshire.which is a relief gg,reading your post.only downer i have on tilapia & basa for that matter is that they are fresh water fish so,while tasty,don't kick it like sea fish
__________________
I spent a lot of money on booze,birds & fast cars.The rest I just squandered.
Harry Cobean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 07:04 PM   #22
Assistant Cook
 
Coballs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 39
I guess I didn't clarify but if I am defrosting frozen fish what method should I use? Can I defrost it in the fridge over night or is that unsafe?
Coballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 07:15 PM   #23
Executive Chef
 
Hoot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: The edge of the Great Dismal Swamp
Posts: 3,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coballs View Post
I guess I didn't clarify but if I am defrosting frozen fish what method should I use? Can I defrost it in the fridge over night or is that unsafe?
Yep! That is the best and safest way. For thinner fillets, if you are in a hurry, you can cut open that package on a corner, place the package in a large bowl and place under running cold water. This will accelerate the thawing process somewhat.
Hoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 07:26 PM   #24
Assistant Cook
 
Coballs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 39
O also forgot to ask. Should I wash the fish before cooking?
Coballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 07:28 PM   #25
Executive Chef
 
Hoot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: The edge of the Great Dismal Swamp
Posts: 3,306
You can. Be sure to dry it if you are going to fry it.
Hoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 07:44 PM   #26
Assistant Cook
 
Coballs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 39
Ok so I just bought frozen tilapia. How do you guys recommend cooking it?

I was gonna throw it in a flour tortialla with some brocolli slaw and jalapeno little my way fish taco. I just don't know how to cook it.

I think last time I cooked fish I pan seared it (I think that is the right term) and it just stuck to the pan and broke apart and got burnt. But this time around I have a better pan, and will be defrosting it longer.
Coballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 07:48 PM   #27
The Dude Abides
 
TATTRAT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bermuda Native in D.C./NoVA
Posts: 5,428
Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Pat it dry, season it with some prefab cajun Spice, and you can lightly blacken it, or just pan sear it. In keeping with the Fish Taco theme, salt, pepper, cumin, chili powder, paprika, and pan sear it. More color from the sear=more flavor for the fish.

I tend to go heavy on the spice with Tilapia, as I really don't care for it. . . if you knew how it was raised, you would have second thoughts, lol.
__________________
flickr

@JONOBRANDS
TATTRAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 07:52 PM   #28
Assistant Cook
 
Coballs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by TATTRAT View Post
I tend to go heavy on the spice with Tilapia, as I really don't care for it. . . if you knew how it was raised, you would have second thoughts, lol.
Ha maybe I rather not know, but hey this is a learning experience so fire away and tell me what kind of nastiness I'm adding to my already damaged body.

Also what about minutes cooked on each side?
Coballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 08:00 PM   #29
The Dude Abides
 
TATTRAT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bermuda Native in D.C./NoVA
Posts: 5,428
Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coballs View Post
Ha maybe I rather not know, but hey this is a learning experience so fire away and tell me what kind of nastiness I'm adding to my already damaged body.

Also what about minutes cooked on each side?
for doneness, it depends on the filet, but I am guessing you have a 4-6oz filet? I would say 8min is about all you need, it should feel firm to the touch, with a little give to it.

We affectionately refer to Tialpia as "poop Fish", as the farm raised stuff is raised on the poop from farm raised Sea Bass. . .the tilapia are the "tank cleaners", and go in after to take care of business. Like catfish, the tilapia just have a muddy quality, slightly reminiscent of the taste of blue mold(same with catfish) that just turn me off. In other parts of the world, it has been a "junk" fish for eons, now, it's had a culinary foothold for almost 10 years in major restaurants, adn I can't believe what people pay for it, lol.
__________________
flickr

@JONOBRANDS
TATTRAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 08:07 PM   #30
Assistant Cook
 
Coballs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by TATTRAT View Post
for doneness, it depends on the filet, but I am guessing you have a 4-6oz filet? I would say 8min is about all you need, it should feel firm to the touch, with a little give to it.

We affectionately refer to Tialpia as "poop Fish", as the farm raised stuff is raised on the poop from farm raised Sea Bass. . .the tilapia are the "tank cleaners", and go in after to take care of business. Like catfish, the tilapia just have a muddy quality, slightly reminiscent of the taste of blue mold(same with catfish) that just turn me off. In other parts of the world, it has been a "junk" fish for eons, now, it's had a culinary foothold for almost 10 years in major restaurants, adn I can't believe what people pay for it, lol.
Interesting stuff haha. Life lesson learned.
Coballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 08:14 PM   #31
Executive Chef
 
Greg Who Cooks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: in my kitchen
Posts: 3,794
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coballs View Post
Ok so I just bought frozen tilapia. How do you guys recommend cooking it?
How to Make Fish à la Meunière - Sautéed Fish with Butter, Lemon and Parsley

Serve it with some rice and sautéed or steamed vegetables.
Greg Who Cooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 10:47 AM   #32
Assistant Cook
 
Coballs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 39
Ok so I cooked my piece of tilapia yesterday and it came out tasting perfectly fine, but didn't expect the texture I got. So I was wondering if the outcome was normal or not, ill explain my steps.

Defrosted the frozen fish, heated the pan with vegetable oil, season the fish with salt and pepper, and some herbs, cooked for about 8 minutes.

It came out almost like it was fried with flour on it, thick brown crust, which I actually enjoyed. But I expected it to be just the soft skin. Any clue to why this happened?
Coballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 10:52 AM   #33
The Dude Abides
 
TATTRAT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bermuda Native in D.C./NoVA
Posts: 5,428
Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Sounds like you got a nice sear on it, that's what you want.
__________________
flickr

@JONOBRANDS
TATTRAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 11:08 AM   #34
Executive Chef
 
Greg Who Cooks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: in my kitchen
Posts: 3,794
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coballs View Post
It came out almost like it was fried with flour on it, thick brown crust, which I actually enjoyed.
You might like the Meuniere method, about the same but using butter (a bit richer tasting than oil).
Greg Who Cooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 11:13 AM   #35
The Dude Abides
 
TATTRAT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bermuda Native in D.C./NoVA
Posts: 5,428
Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Who Cooks View Post
You might like the Meuniere method, about the same but using butter (a bit richer tasting than oil).
Very true, and a nice way to elevate something simple, into something very nice. Add in a sprig or two of fresh herbs, and baste the fish with the butter as it goes, you could make a belt buckle taste good this way.
__________________
flickr

@JONOBRANDS
TATTRAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 11:14 AM   #36
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 38,545
Quote:
Originally Posted by TATTRAT View Post
Very true, and a nice way to elevate something simple, into something very nice. Add in a sprig or two of fresh herbs, and baste the fish with the butter as it goes, you could make a belt buckle taste good this way.
Yes, but the belt itself will be undercooked.
__________________
“There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.” - Albert Einstein
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 12:23 PM   #37
Executive Chef
 
Greg Who Cooks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: in my kitchen
Posts: 3,794
Quote:
Originally Posted by TATTRAT View Post
Very true, and a nice way to elevate something simple, into something very nice. Add in a sprig or two of fresh herbs, and baste the fish with the butter as it goes, you could make a belt buckle taste good this way.
I particularly like the sauce a la minute. The cooking method and sauce are so simple that all can be done in mere minutes, yet the end result is delicate and delicious.

I like to serve it with lime wedges and capers.
Greg Who Cooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 02:57 PM   #38
Head Chef
 
tinlizzie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: SW Florida
Posts: 2,008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coballs View Post
Do not, but when I move to Fort Myers in September my friend is going to show me the ropes. I'm looking forward to kicking back relaxing, drinking some beer and catching some feisty fish.
When you get here, if you don't have luck yourself, check out Andy's Island Seafood on Pine Island Road in Matlacha, just a skip and a jump from Ft. Myers. I believe the fish he sells is locally caught, and while it's not cheap, it's reliable. They make a mean seafood chowder in the wintertime.

Oh, and when I make fish tacos with tilapia (notwithstanding Tatt's advice; think monkey poop coffee), I season the filets and roll them in cornmeal. Fry in canola oil - for thin ones just a few minutes. If the oil's good and hot, they shouldn't stick.

C'mon down!
__________________
No matter how simple it seems, it's complicated.
tinlizzie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 03:01 PM   #39
Master Chef
 
CraigC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 6,425
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzie View Post
When you get here, if you don't have luck yourself, check out Andy's Island Seafood on Pine Island Road in Matlacha, just a skip and a jump from Ft. Myers. I believe the fish he sells is locally caught, and while it's not cheap, it's reliable. They make a mean seafood chowder in the wintertime.

Oh, and when I make fish tacos with tilapia (notwithstanding Tatt's advice; think monkey poop coffee), I season the filets and roll them in cornmeal. Fry in canola oil - for thin ones just a few minutes. If the oil's good and hot, they shouldn't stick.

C'mon down!
Ha! I just drove through there today, headed for the fire station om Pine Island. Are they ever going to get the bridge finished?
__________________
Emeralds are real Gems! C. caninus and C. batesii.
CraigC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 10:14 PM   #40
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 24,259
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Just a few notes about fish safety: Tilapia is cheap because 95% of it is imported from Cihina, where environmental controls are questionable. I haven't eaten tilapia in years. Flounder and salmon cost just a bit more and are healthier. Also, if you're concerned about mercury at all, avoid large predator fish like swordfish, grouper and mackerel. Since they eat smaller fish, the mercury load in their body is larger and thus more likely to cause problems. Here's more info: The Super Green List from Seafood Watch

Seafood Watch also has downloadable guides for buying safe, sustainable seafood and a mobile app for looking them up when you're in the store.
Thank you for the link. I have been wary of buying fish because of imported farmed fish from places without good safety controls and because of environmental/sustainability concerns. I downloaded the app.

That made me think of "The Dirty Dozen and the Clean Fifteen" of the EWG (Environmental Working Group). I wondered if they had an app. Lo and behold, they do. So I downloaded that too. Download the Guide | EWG's 2012 Shopper's Guide to Pesticides in Produce
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cheap, fish

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:02 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.