Is there Cheap Fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
As long as you follow the rules, all you need is a recreational fishing license.

Presently, both claws can be taken if legal size. It is suggested that only one claw be taken. The claws will be regenerated at the next molt, but I have no idea how many molts to get a legal size claw again.
hmmmm,cheers craig.as i say " you lives & learns"

Just a few notes about fish safety: Tilapia is cheap because 95% of it is imported from Cihina, where environmental controls are questionable. I haven't eaten tilapia in years. Flounder and salmon cost just a bit more and are healthier. Also, if you're concerned about mercury at all, avoid large predator fish like swordfish, grouper and mackerel. Since they eat smaller fish, the mercury load in their body is larger and thus more likely to cause problems. Here's more info: The Super Green List from Seafood Watch

Seafood Watch also has downloadable guides for buying safe, sustainable seafood and a mobile app for looking them up when you're in the store.
the tilapia we used to buy over here were farmed in the carribean then recently farming has started in the uk.i think the tilaps we buy now are uk farmed in lincolnshire.which is a relief gg,reading your post.only downer i have on tilapia & basa for that matter is that they are fresh water fish so,while tasty,don't kick it like sea fish

Last edited:
I guess I didn't clarify but if I am defrosting frozen fish what method should I use? Can I defrost it in the fridge over night or is that unsafe?

I guess I didn't clarify but if I am defrosting frozen fish what method should I use? Can I defrost it in the fridge over night or is that unsafe?
Yep! That is the best and safest way. For thinner fillets, if you are in a hurry, you can cut open that package on a corner, place the package in a large bowl and place under running cold water. This will accelerate the thawing process somewhat.

Ok so I just bought frozen tilapia. How do you guys recommend cooking it?

I was gonna throw it in a flour tortialla with some brocolli slaw and jalapeno little my way fish taco. I just don't know how to cook it.

I think last time I cooked fish I pan seared it (I think that is the right term) and it just stuck to the pan and broke apart and got burnt. But this time around I have a better pan, and will be defrosting it longer.

Pat it dry, season it with some prefab cajun Spice, and you can lightly blacken it, or just pan sear it. In keeping with the Fish Taco theme, salt, pepper, cumin, chili powder, paprika, and pan sear it. More color from the sear=more flavor for the fish.

I tend to go heavy on the spice with Tilapia, as I really don't care for it. . . if you knew how it was raised, you would have second thoughts, lol.

I tend to go heavy on the spice with Tilapia, as I really don't care for it. . . if you knew how it was raised, you would have second thoughts, lol.

Ha maybe I rather not know, but hey this is a learning experience so fire away and tell me what kind of nastiness I'm adding to my already damaged body.

Also what about minutes cooked on each side?

Ha maybe I rather not know, but hey this is a learning experience so fire away and tell me what kind of nastiness I'm adding to my already damaged body.

Also what about minutes cooked on each side?

for doneness, it depends on the filet, but I am guessing you have a 4-6oz filet? I would say 8min is about all you need, it should feel firm to the touch, with a little give to it.

We affectionately refer to Tialpia as "poop Fish", as the farm raised stuff is raised on the poop from farm raised Sea Bass. . .the tilapia are the "tank cleaners", and go in after to take care of business. Like catfish, the tilapia just have a muddy quality, slightly reminiscent of the taste of blue mold(same with catfish) that just turn me off. In other parts of the world, it has been a "junk" fish for eons, now, it's had a culinary foothold for almost 10 years in major restaurants, adn I can't believe what people pay for it, lol.

for doneness, it depends on the filet, but I am guessing you have a 4-6oz filet? I would say 8min is about all you need, it should feel firm to the touch, with a little give to it.

We affectionately refer to Tialpia as "poop Fish", as the farm raised stuff is raised on the poop from farm raised Sea Bass. . .the tilapia are the "tank cleaners", and go in after to take care of business. Like catfish, the tilapia just have a muddy quality, slightly reminiscent of the taste of blue mold(same with catfish) that just turn me off. In other parts of the world, it has been a "junk" fish for eons, now, it's had a culinary foothold for almost 10 years in major restaurants, adn I can't believe what people pay for it, lol.

Interesting stuff haha. Life lesson learned.

Ok so I cooked my piece of tilapia yesterday and it came out tasting perfectly fine, but didn't expect the texture I got. So I was wondering if the outcome was normal or not, ill explain my steps.

Defrosted the frozen fish, heated the pan with vegetable oil, season the fish with salt and pepper, and some herbs, cooked for about 8 minutes.

It came out almost like it was fried with flour on it, thick brown crust, which I actually enjoyed. But I expected it to be just the soft skin. Any clue to why this happened?

You might like the Meuniere method, about the same but using butter (a bit richer tasting than oil).

Very true, and a nice way to elevate something simple, into something very nice. Add in a sprig or two of fresh herbs, and baste the fish with the butter as it goes, you could make a belt buckle taste good this way.

Very true, and a nice way to elevate something simple, into something very nice. Add in a sprig or two of fresh herbs, and baste the fish with the butter as it goes, you could make a belt buckle taste good this way.

Yes, but the belt itself will be undercooked.:angel:

I particularly like the sauce a la minute. The cooking method and sauce are so simple that all can be done in mere minutes, yet the end result is delicate and delicious.

I like to serve it with lime wedges and capers.

Do not, but when I move to Fort Myers in September my friend is going to show me the ropes. I'm looking forward to kicking back relaxing, drinking some beer and catching some feisty fish.

When you get here, if you don't have luck yourself, check out Andy's Island Seafood on Pine Island Road in Matlacha, just a skip and a jump from Ft. Myers. I believe the fish he sells is locally caught, and while it's not cheap, it's reliable. They make a mean seafood chowder in the wintertime.

Oh, and when I make fish tacos with tilapia (notwithstanding Tatt's advice; think monkey poop coffee), I season the filets and roll them in cornmeal. Fry in canola oil - for thin ones just a few minutes. If the oil's good and hot, they shouldn't stick.

C'mon down!

When you get here, if you don't have luck yourself, check out Andy's Island Seafood on Pine Island Road in Matlacha, just a skip and a jump from Ft. Myers. I believe the fish he sells is locally caught, and while it's not cheap, it's reliable. They make a mean seafood chowder in the wintertime.

Oh, and when I make fish tacos with tilapia (notwithstanding Tatt's advice; think monkey poop coffee), I season the filets and roll them in cornmeal. Fry in canola oil - for thin ones just a few minutes. If the oil's good and hot, they shouldn't stick.

C'mon down!

Ha! I just drove through there today, headed for the fire station om Pine Island. Are they ever going to get the bridge finished?

Just a few notes about fish safety: Tilapia is cheap because 95% of it is imported from Cihina, where environmental controls are questionable. I haven't eaten tilapia in years. Flounder and salmon cost just a bit more and are healthier. Also, if you're concerned about mercury at all, avoid large predator fish like swordfish, grouper and mackerel. Since they eat smaller fish, the mercury load in their body is larger and thus more likely to cause problems. Here's more info: The Super Green List from Seafood Watch

Seafood Watch also has downloadable guides for buying safe, sustainable seafood and a mobile app for looking them up when you're in the store.
Thank you for the link. I have been wary of buying fish because of imported farmed fish from places without good safety controls and because of environmental/sustainability concerns. I downloaded the app.

That made me think of "The Dirty Dozen and the Clean Fifteen" of the EWG (Environmental Working Group). I wondered if they had an app. Lo and behold, they do. So I downloaded that too. Download the Guide | EWG's 2012 Shopper's Guide to Pesticides in Produce

Back
Top Bottom