Is Tilapia A Good Fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
MarionW said:
It's all in preparation. It can be manipulated to suit your guest. A great "nuetural" fish that can be prepared to suit most anyone. Salads, spreds, main course,.... you decide.

Marion

exactly :) :)

I bought a frozen box of it at walmart (lol) pre-packaged in an herb marinade recently, was probably the best I'd had of this fish, with a really good flavor.

Foodfiend said:
I'm not a big fan of tilapia. To me it's way too bland and it's almost like eating sawdust (of course it could be the way it was prepared, but then again...). I much prefer salmon, mahi-mahi, grouper, and when I can find it red snapper.

Use your red snapper recipes with tilapia. Very good. Tilapia is a firmer fish than snapper but not quite the steak fish that you (and I) like. I fixed some the other night by dipping in egg wash and then seasoned instant potato flakes. Sauteed.
I don't know how this fish could be made to taste like sawdust and would have to conclude it was however they fixed it.
Tilapia would also be a great fish to use in fish chowders or stews--or bouilliabaise.

I love Tilipia but then again I love almost any fish or seafood for that matter. I've made it pan fried, grilled and broiled and also done the whole ones in the oven Mexican style with some onions, tomatoes and lime.

Forgot to mention I've also made it blackened. Used a Tanya Holland recipe from her New Soul Cooking CB. It was delicious.

PeppA, my other half, loves it when I blacken Tilapia. Personally, I like it as well, but as I've mentioned in many threads, I love anything that's blackened.

I've also had tilapia that was beer-battered and deep-fried. VERY good! A little malt vinegar goes great with that, and some fresh chips (french fries).

Tilapia, if not seasoned correctly, and over-cooked, can yes result in a piece of fish that reminds one of sawdust. The key is knowning when the fish is done, and to allow for carry-over cooking. A sauce or condiment will also help if the fish is slightly overcooked.

I would use Tilapia in a fish stew or chowder, but please remember, that it IS a flaky fish, and if over-cooked, will fall apart in the stew/chowder. Treat it like you would shrimp. Cut the tilapia into small cubes, about 1/2", make the stew/chowder, and add the fish at the very last, cover the pot, remove from the heat, and let the fish poach in the stew/chowder. Stir before serving CAREFULLY, to keep it from breaking up.

Tilapia is easily farmed, and they spawn every 18 days. I even remember, 20 years ago, watching a fishing show where the hosts were down at a Texas lake, that had been stocked with a hybrid of local and Florida largemouth bass, and then stocked with tilapia as a baitfish for the bass. A 3-y.o. bass would weigh in at 5 lbs!

Tilapia and Orange Roughe are my two favorites. I fix them many different ways, my mom use to roll them in cheese crackers and cook in the oven when I was a kid.

AllenMI said:
Tilapia, if not seasoned correctly, and over-cooked, can yes result in a piece of fish that reminds one of sawdust. The key is knowning when the fish is done, and to allow for carry-over cooking.

I like to lightly coat tilapia with Zatarrain's fish fry and quickly pan-fry. You're absolutely right; it doesn't take long. Don't over cook, but that's true of most fish.

Fraidy

tilapia takes marinades well.

i've grilled teriyaki marinated tilapia, on skewers with pineapple and sweet onions that was very good.

Tilapia is a very versatile fish. I use a beer batter and

deep fry, or pan fry with a little flour, salt and pepper, baked or broiled with a little old bay or cajun seasoning. Stuff it like flounder. Very mild flaky white fish. Used to be inexpensive but not any more. I guess it's too popular.

One of our favorite ways to prepare tilapia is to egg wash it, dip it in panko crumbs, little salt and pepper and then pan fry until it's golden and flaky. We serve it with slices of lemon and tartar sauce. Quite delicioius.

I love tilapia, I was brought up on it as my mum was born and bred by a famous fresh water lake called Lake Victoria(Kenya)My mum used to make a fish stew or just panfry it whole. For the stew she put some oil in a pan and added lots of chopped tomatoes and dhania(Fresh coriander), then put the fish in then add some milk and cook briefly until ready. For making stews with tilapia, it works best when it's on the bone and not fillet. The bones hold it all together.I still use my mum's recipe and my family enjoy it.

My favourite way of dealing with tilapia is to put in a dish with three tablespoons of Dry Martini, and bake it covered at 350 F for 30 minutes. Meanwhile I am boiling potatoes and cauliflour (or maybe carrots) on the top of the stove, and everything is ready at the same time.
I use bottled 1000 Island sauce to accompany, or bottled Tartare Sauce, if I am too lazy to cook a sauce.
If I make a sauce I make a white sauce and use the juices from the dish to flavour.

As others have said, Tilapia is a mild-flavored fish that takes well to more heavily-seasoned presentations.

I am personally a big fan, it allows me to try a lot of different things without worrying about overpowering the flavor of the fish, as it doesn't have a whole lot to begin with.

It is very good fried, or broiled in a good dry rub. I don't imagine it'd stay together very well on a grill, however.

P.S. Jikoni seems to know her shxt, lol. Do you have a complete recipe for that stew? That sounds very good.

Talapia is not my favorite fish but I do like it. It's mild enough that even some of my family who are not big fish eaters, will eat talapia. The taste of this fish depends of what you cook it with. I make fish tacos and use talapia-it works great.

Talapia, AKA Izumi Dai is a very nice fish for sashimi. It is mild yet has a richness that is not unlike a mild tuna. It is great sliced thinly with a citrus marinade, as Ceviche, or just sliced with steamed rice, soy, wasabi, and ginger.

Back
Top Bottom