ISO a good vegetable for poached salmon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My favorite vegetable for salmon, & one that just happens to be in season (& thus relatively inexpensive) at the moment is asparagus.

In fact, one of my favorite spring meals is wild salmon - baked, broiled, or poached - along with cooked asparagus, & the whole lot drizzled with Hollaindaise sauce. Absolutely delicious.

Another green veggie that goes great with any fish is fresh green beans; I tend to fix them or asparagus with fish 95% of the time.

It's not really a "vegetable" but I will try to explain what I do:

slice fennel into rings and then chop (medium chop) (about a baseball size head of fennel)
core red apple, slice and chop same size as fennel
rough chop the walnuts
4 or so spring onions sliced into rings
fresh fennel leaves

Mix everything and add dressing as described below.

DRESSING
1 part red wine vinegar
3 parts light olive oil (if you have Walnut oil I use 1/2 walnut and 1/2 olive oil)
1 or 2 shallots depending on size
Dijon mustard
cracked black pepper and salt

Place vinegar in bowl and melt the salt. Emulsify oil then add about 1-2 shallots depending on the size and about 1 TBS of Dijon mustard. Add cracked black pepper. Add just enough dressing to saturate the ingredients. I like to let mine sit for about 30 minutes to 1 hour before using.

Right before serving if you need to toss salad with more dressing do so. Mound salad in middle of plate and top with a salmon filet. Garnish with sprig of fennel.

I also made this salad and tossed it with a mesclun mix and blue cheese. It made for a very interesting salad!

Welcome to DC, shadow.

Tomato, cucumber, red onion salad

Steamed brocolli with butter & lemon juice

Creamed spinach

Strawberry spinach salad

Asparagus and sliced tomatoes over butter lettuce w vinaigrette dressing

Cucumber salad with dill & yogurt (tzatziki sauce)

Roasted Brussels sprouts

Sesame asparagus

Last edited:
We usually like asparagus spears, baked potatoes and dill sauce with our salmon, but the other night I made a rice pilaf out of chicken flavored Rice-a-roni, mushrooms, pimentoes and frozen peas, and we really liked that for a change!
If you don't like using boxed mixes, you can make it from scratch.

In all seriousness, I rarely plan vegetables for meals anymore...I go to the markets and whatever is freshest and best looking and hopefully local is what I get. One trip I brought back turnip greens and baby turnips...(not what I was thinking about at all) but the greens are tender and fresh and easy to saute, and baby turnips glazed in orange butter were fantastic. All went fine with the main.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom