ISO Crab Cioppino recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

itzalgud

Cook
Years ago I ordered crab ciopinno at a restaurant in San Francisco and fell in love with it. Over the next year I devised my own recipe which was great.
However after several location moves and failing memory, I no longer know how I made it. The best I remember I put everything but the kitchen sink in it.

Does anyone have a recipe which you have made and like?.

We love cioppino and have it often ..
I saute 1 or 2 large chopped white onions and about 6 cloves of crushed garlic in about a 1/4 c of evoo..I just do this til the onion is soft but not browned..I then add 1/2 c. red or white wine what ever is on hand..saute a few minutes and then add 1-tab. each of. fresh oregano,basil and marjoram,parsley ..you can add more basil if you like..I add another round of the herbs after about 20 min if I feel it needs it. I like a more pronounced herb flavor. Then add your tomatoe favorite,such as sauce, chopped,I use 2 cups of chopped tomatoes and then add 3 cups of clam juice ..for fish I add pieces of cod about 2 lbs,let cook about 25 min. and add the rest of your ingredients. I like a rather thick cioppino so that is why the 2 lbs. of cod..You can use less say a pound...then you just add your favorite shell fish, crab, shrimp, oysters, scallops what ever you like...
Hope this will help get you started.
kadesma:)

Sounds like a great recipe. I also like it a little thick. Is it the cod that thickens it?
Your post has brought back a few memories of how I used to make cioppino. Thanks.

I found this one, I hope that it's nice for you ;)

http:// whatscookingamerica.net /Soup/ Cioppino.htm

Sounds like a great recipe. I also like it a little thick. Is it the cod that thickens it?
Your post has brought back a few memories of how I used to make cioppino. Thanks.
Sorry it took so long to answer you...I had dialysis today and then some errands to run.. But yes I add the cod to thicken the cioppino. I think any white fish you like would work as well.
kadesma:)

itzalgud, i can't give a good tnt recipe as i wing most of my cioppinos/bouillabases, but the secret to a good cioppino is all in the timing.

you make your base first, making sure it's ready but not overcooked. then add the fish at proper intervals so they're all cooked (again, not over/under cooked) at the same time.

one thing to do is to be sure all ingerdients, especially the fish, are ready to go, aka mis en place.

Thanks to all! I made the cioppino last night using ALL of your suggestions.
It was GREAT! I really outdid myself on this one, thanks to you guys.
It was a big hit. My only mistake was I should have made more. There was not a drop left.

I had sourdough bread on the side, which everyone used to dip in the sauce. They all went crazy over this. It was sooooo good. I ran out of bread also, so guess that was another mistake.
Lessons Learned:
1. Use the suggestions of all the wonderful cooks and food enthusiast on DC
2. Make more than you think you will need.
3. Have extra sourdough bread

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom