ISO fish fillets like in grade school

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

giggler

Sous Chef
I know this may sound odd, but sometimes I'd like to have a "fried" fish portion like we had in school. It was square, and pretty good with Catsup. Maybe it's just fond old memories...

I can find ''fish sticks" and Gortens "fish portions" but not the old "size of a deck of cards" fillets that we had back in the '70's...

Ha Ha, sorry if this is just too silly, but I tried to deep fry some fish sticks the other day and they turned to mush. Maybe I should be posting this to some "food from the fifties" website.

Thanks, Eric, Austin Tx.

Mrs.Paul's makes a product like you want. I can't remember how they label it, but I know it is out there.

Always wondered where they caught square fish though;)

Hey - no need to feel "odd" at all!! We sometimes get a hankering for those good old days, & I'll pick up a package of Gorton's or Mrs. Pauls breaded (not battered - has to be breaded) fish filets or fish sticks & bake 'em up with some tartar sauce & a side of Kraft Macaroni & Cheese.

High falutin cuisine? No. Comfort food & a very nice "blast into the past"? Yes!

Ewwwww. My school did not have good fish fillets... they had the mushy 'sticks' instead.

But I get the same hankering every so often for food from the good ol days, which is why we had pigs in a blanket the other night with tater tots...

We buy some awfully good ones for Sam's...I think they are Groton's. Kim sticks them in the oven, and they make a fine fish sandwich for lunch. It's an actual piece of fish, not pressed fish pieces. :sick:

:) I bought some Van de Camps fish squares they where awful way too fishy I tossed the rest had a fish sandwich at Wendys about a year ago it was also fishy. I say bread some Tilapia fry in a pan it is really mild and would make a great fish sandwich or fish tacos.

Ok, I think that is an odd hankerin you have there, but all the same, I understand where you are coming from. But for the life of me I can't even recall a single school cafeteria item whose flavor I miss or yearn for. With that being said, I think Mrs. Paul's cod filets are about as close you may find. Vandecamp's may come close, but as far as texture and shape, MP would be the better product. Let us know what you come up with, curious as that is the time frame I remember having the fish filet in school!

Back
Top Bottom