ISO How to make southern fried catfish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aaartnaz

Assistant Cook
hi,

could i please get some pointers on making southern fried catfish? I'd like the cornmeal coated recipe. please tell me what to do from step one. thanks.

Go to store. Pick up a bag of House of Autrey medium hot (or regular) breading. Any decent fish breading will be just fine... they are a mix of cornmeal and flour.
Follow directions on the package.

I like to take my catfish filets and soak them in milk for 10 minutes or so. Shake off
excess, sprinkle with pepper, and bread well.

Put a half inch or so of oil in a skillet and heat to 375, or "fish" on a frying thermometer. Cook the fish about 2 minutes per side or until golden brown.
Be sure to let your oil return to temperature before cooking the next batch.
Don't crowd the skillet with fish; give them room to breathe.
Keep fish covered in a warm oven till done.
If you have an exhaust fan over your stove, use it.

2 lbs. Fresh Catfish (Pan-Dressed or Fillets)
2 Eggs, beaten
1½ cups Zatarain's Catfish Fry
2 tbl. Milk
2 tsp. Salt - or to taste
1/2 tsp. Black Pepper
Peanut Oil for frying
Wash and pat fish dry with paper toweling and season Catfish with salt and pepper.
Combine eggs and milk and dip fish into egg/milk mix.
Coat with the Zatarain's.
Half fill frying pan with oil and
heat to about 375 F; fry fish until golden brown (7-8 minutes each side) and flakes easily
with a fork; drain on paper toweling. Fish may be placed in a warm oven to keep crisp
for serving.​
SERVINGS PER RECIPE: 4-6

Southern Fried Catfish....

The Basics

Season Catfish with Salt, Pepper, Garlic Powder, Cayenne Pepper...

Roll in a mixture of Corn Meal and Corn Flour.....

Deep Fry in 375* Peanut Oil until it floats...

Drain on a wire rack...

Enjoy!

Masa Harina (dough flour) is made from dried corn kernels that have been cooked in limewater..After cooking it is soaked in the limewater for a period of time... 24 hours or so..the wet corn is ground into Masa... the Flour is made/ground from the dried masa...It is used to make tamles etc...It has a distinct flavor...I add a small amount to Chili sometimes....

Corn flour is simply Corn ground into Flour....

Two different products...Both made from Corn....Ground into flour....Again two differewnt products...

Interesting UB. I'll have to look around the store next visit. Funny thing, I was actually looking at catfish on Wednesday so this topic is timely.

You probably want find it on your grocer's shelf like 5 lb bags of Wheat Flour...(White
Lily, Martha White etc) Check the contents on Commercial Fish Fry breading products...both bags and boxes...You may see Ingredients: Corn Flour Expect to pay a King's Ransom $$$$ for it in this form. Some specialty markets carry it...I buy it in 4 lb bags three at a time...very reasonable...Both white and yellow are available.

here is what i came up with, i dipped the catfish in cornmeal, flour, paprika, cajun spice, and mrs. dash

Attachments

• greens and catfish.JPG
    greens and catfish.JPG
    32.9 KB · Views: 191
luckytrim, hi, i didn't time myself, i think it took under 10 min. apiece though.

Back
Top Bottom