ISO more uses for tilapia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WildOrchid310

Assistant Cook
I've been eating a lot of tilapia lately. I put it in a foil "packet" with lemon juice, olive oil, garlic salt, and some spicy seasoning. I really love it this way, but I know I'll get sick of it soon if this is the only thing I ever do with it! What are some of your favorite ways to use tilapia?

I've done mine in the microwave with just butter and S&P. Maybe some teryaki and a dash of rice vinegar would be good.

I am not a big fan of Tilapia but a few of the ways I have njoyed are:
Sweet and sour Tilapia with thin breading and tangy S&S sauce with onions and green peppers. (no pineapple)

The other way was salt and pepper tilapia with thin breading and fried jalapeno slices.

I normally don't prefer my fish breaded/battered and fried, but it seems to work well with me and Tilapia.

You might try this sauce over some broiled talapia. I put it over sole and halibut .1-1/2 Tab. butter melt in skillet. Stir in 2 Tab. of flour blending well. Add boiling 2-/14 cups of salted water and whisk til thickened. Beat an egg yolk with 1 Tab of cold water.Remove the skillet from the heat and and stir in the egg. Add 6 Tab of butter and stir until melted Strain the sauce and add the juice of 2 fresh squeezed lemons or more if you want. Add salt and pepper Serve over your fish. or you might like a dill sauce
Mix 1 pint of sour cream, 1 tea. of a good Dijon mustard,salt and pepper 1/2 tea. or more of dill weed to taste 1 Tab. lemon juice, 2 tab. capers Serve with broiled fish. Hope this helps a little
kadesma

Good ideas! I was thinking fish taco but I think you might need a firmer fish than Tilapia for that...maybe broil the tilapia first...then top it with a white sauce, lime juice, guacamole, and a fine cabbage.

A Tilapia Corn Chowder would be good with bacon(optional), celery, onion, chicken broth, coconut milk, potatoes, corn, lemon juice, chives, and thyme. I love soups...comfort food.

You might try this sauce over some broiled talapia. I put it over sole and halibut .1-1/2 Tab. butter melt in skillet. Stir in 2 Tab. of flour blending well. Add boiling 2-/14 cups of salted water and whisk til thickened. Beat an egg yolk with 1 Tab of cold water.Remove the skillet from the heat and and stir in the egg. Add 6 Tab of butter and stir until melted Strain the sauce and add the juice of 2 fresh squeezed lemons or more if you want. Add salt and pepper Serve over your fish. or you might like a dill sauce
Mix 1 pint of sour cream, 1 tea. of a good Dijon mustard,salt and pepper 1/2 tea. or more of dill weed to taste 1 Tab. lemon juice, 2 tab. capers Serve with broiled fish. Hope this helps a little
kadesma
Those sauces sound fabulous. Gonna copy and paste them.

Is that first one a simplified Hollandaise?

Last edited:
Put fish fillets in a baking dish, salt and pepper it.

Drizzle with a generous amount of melted butter.

Top with coarsely crushed saltine crackers.

Bake it 15 to 20 minutes at 425 degrees.

Serve with lemon wedges and tartar sauce. :yum:

Don't tell anyone it is Tilapia, tell them it is scrod or the catch of the day! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

I haven't tried it with tilapia but I 'spect it would be good. Fire up your grill. You will likely need a grill basket, (I do). Grilled fish is an excellent way to bring a new flavor to the table.

Almost all Tilapia sold in the US is farmed under questionable conditions in Asian countries.

Many consider it a less than healthful fish.

I've been eating a lot of tilapia lately. I put it in a foil "packet" with lemon juice, olive oil, garlic salt, and some spicy seasoning. I really love it this way, but I know I'll get sick of it soon if this is the only thing I ever do with it! What are some of your favorite ways to use tilapia?

Not one of my faves, but you could:

Bread it, fry it, & put it in a taco.

Add it to paella.

Add it to Cioppino.

Last edited:
Those sauces sound fabulous. Gonna copy and paste them.

Is that first one a simplified Hollandaise?
I have no Idea. I just played around with it til I got something I liked:LOL: I guess you could call it that though.
kades

[FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]Kung Pao Tilapia[/FONT]​

[FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]Marinade:[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]1 1/2 pounds tilapia[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]1 tablespoon soy sauce[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]2 tablespoons sesame oil[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]1 tablespoon rice wine or sherry[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]1 egg, beaten[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]1/2 teaspoon salt
    [/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]Sauce:[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]2 Tbs peanut oil[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]4 dried red chiles, cracked[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]1 Tbs garlic, minced[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]1/2 Tbs grated ginger[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]1 tsp pepper[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]2 scallions, chopped, white and green parts separated[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]1 red bell pepper, cut in strips[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]2 Tbs soy sauce[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]3 Tbs rice wine or sherry[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]2 Tbs Chinese black (or balsamic) vinegar[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]1 tsp sugar[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]1 cup chicken broth[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]1 Tbs cornstarch, dissolved in 4 Tbs water[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]1/3 cup unsalted, dry roasted peanuts[/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]Combine the soy sauce, sesame oil, rice wine/sherry, egg and salt in a glass bowl. Add the fish and turn to coat. Marinate for 30 to 60 minutes, covered, in the refrigerator. [/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]Place peanut oil in a wok, swirl to coat, then place over high heat. Add the chilies and cook until they begin to darken. Add the garlic, ginger and pepper and continue to cook to infuse the oil. Add the white part of the scallions and the bell pepper. Remove the fish from the marinade, pat dry with paper towel, then add it to the wok. sauté until cooked through, gently turning once. Remove the fish from the pan. Add the soy sauce, rice wine, black vinegar, sugar and chicken broth. Add the cornstarch slurry to the sauce and stir to thicken. Return the fish to the wok and heat through. Plate tilapia filets, spoon sauce over each fillet, then garnish with peanuts and green part of scallion. [/FONT]

Sir_Loin_of_Beef said:
I buy my tilapia at Fisherman's Catch and it is farmed in the US of A

Wish we had a seafood market like that!

Our local high school FFA also farms tilapia, never to be introduced to the river we hope! There are very strict requirements.

Last edited:
I buy my tilapia at Fisherman's Catch and it is farmed in the US of A

Does that make a difference? I don't think the negative attributes of fish farming don't disappear depending on which continent they're raised. They'll still be overcrowded and still be breathing in their own feces, which in turn goes into their muscle tissue. I mean, unless this particular fish farm does things differently than others. Who's to say?
I just generally avoid farmed fish as a healthy option. There's no telling what goes on at those farms. Farmed mussels on the other hand... nom nom nom the only way to go.

Back
Top Bottom