ISO new recipe for a non fish lover

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AmandaN80

Cook
I am looking for a recipe for fish. I have access to lake perch, bass, salmon, cod, haccock, talipia, swordfish and tuna. I dont like to buy frozen fish. I also am not a big fan of the 'fishy' taste, but would like to start eating fish and my oldest loves it but I think he gets tired of it being grilled. Thanks!

Wanted to add, I do love blackened swordfish but I can not blacken foods in my apartment as it would set off everyones fire alarms and I dont think theyd be thrilled with that ;)

Last edited:
I used to make this quite often when cod was more readily available. It is a baked cod dish. I don't have the recipe (page is missing from my cookbook--my mother has a copy of the cookbook, thankfully. I'll have to bring mine with me and identify the pages that I'm missing and make copies).

This is baked at 350 for about 20-25 minutes.

Cod
Fresh tomatoes, diced
Green pepper, diced
fresh lemon juice
butter
hot red pepper flakes
chopped parsley
butter
1/4-1/2 c white wine (or water)

You put the fish in the bottom of a pyrex dish. Top with the chopped tomatoes and green peppers. Sprinkle with red pepper flakes, top with parsley and dot with butter. Add liquid. Bake, uncovered, until the fish flakes.

A variation on CWS's is to minimize the liquid ingredients a bit, encase individual portions into a sealed fold of parchment paper, and then similarly bake.

Cod has a mild flavor and has fairly firm, flaky flesh. It can also be called Torsk. We would substitute Torsk for lutefisk at Christmas. We put it in a microwave dish, dabbed it with butter, and nuked it. In my family, it was also called "Poorman's Lobster." It is not as sweet as lobster, but it does have a fairly firm, yet flaky, flesh and it isn't oily, so it isn't fishy.

I find the oilier the fish, the fishy-er. Could just be me. I am partial to firm, white fleshed fish. But, walleye is the gold-standard against which all fish is judged in my life.

I got this from the chef at Scoma's on Fisherman's Wharf in San Francisco:

Snapper Romano
Ingredients:

Fish:
  • 4 to 6 Pacific rock cod, or other firm fleshed fish, fillets
  • 1 cup all purpose flour
  • 2 Tbs olive oil
  • salt and pepper to taste
Sauce:
  • 1 tsp garlic, finely chopped
  • ½ tsp lemon juice
  • 2 Tbs butter, cubed and slightly chilled
  • 2 Tbs Mushroom, sliced
  • 2 Tbs yellow onion, sliced
  • 1 scallion, white part only, sliced
  • 1/8 tsp oregano
  • 2 cups marinara sauce
  • 1 cup bay shrimp
  • salt and pepper to taste
Instructions:

In a sauté pan or skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat until shimmering. Dry fish fillets with paper towels, season with salt and pepper, dredge in flour, and sauté until cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Fish is cooked through when it flakes easily with a fork. Remove fish and keep warm.

Add garlic to the sauté pan and cook, stirring constantly, until it just starts to get golden brown, about 30 seconds. Remove from heat, add lemon juice and butter and swirl the pan until butter just melts. Add mushroom, onion, scallion, and oregano and sauté until soft. Add the marinara and shrimp and bring to a boil. Remove from heat and season with salt and pepper to taste. Pour sauce over fish fillets and serve with orzo or steamed rice and a vegetable of choice.​

I am also fond of red snapper, so I do this one quite often:

Red Snapper with Coconut-Mango Salsa
Ingredients:

• 4 to 6 red snapper fillets
Marinade:
  • ½ red onion, finely chopped
  • 1/2 cup finely chopped scallion
  • 3 Tbs soy sauce
  • 1 Tbs cooking oil
  • 1 Tbs pineapple (or other) vinegar
  • 2 tsp fresh thyme leaves
  • 2 tsp sugar
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp ground Jamaican allspice
  • 1 tsp crushed red pepper
  • 1 tsp ground black pepper
  • 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
  • 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
Coating:
  • ½ cup flour
  • 2 tsp basil
  • 2 tsp turbinado sugar
  • 1 tsp ground cloves
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp ground black pepper
  • 1 tsp onion powder
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  • ½ tsp cayenne powder
  • ½ tsp cinnamon
  • ½ tsp nutmeg

Coconut-Mango Salsa:
  • 2 plum or Roma tomatoes, seeded and diced
  • 1/2* red onion, finely chopped
  • 1* cup mango, cubed
  • 1/4* cup*flaked, sweetened coconut
  • 1/4* cup*minced fresh cilantro
  • 1* Tbs*chopped fresh mint
  • 2* tsp*fresh lime juice
  • 1* tsp*brown sugar
  • 1/4* tsp*black pepper
  • 1/4* tsp*crushed red pepper

Instructions:
Prepare marinade and marinate the snapper for 1 hour. While snapper is marinating, prepare Mango salsa in a glass bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and allow flavors to meld. Combine ingredients for the coating in a shallow glass baking dish.

Spray non-stick pan with cooking spray and place over medium high heat. Remove snapper fillets from marinade and pat dry with paper towels. Dredge fillets in coating mix and sauté fillets on both sides until fish flakes easily. Plate each fillet and top with the mango salsa. Serve with brown rice and sautéed vegetables.​

I know there are many here who don't care for freshwater fish. However, the lake perch would likely be very good dredged in seasoned flour or cornmeal and deep fried. Served with coleslaw and hush puppies and iced tea.....
Dag nab it...Now I'm hungry again!!!

I know there are many here who don't care for freshwater fish. However, the lake perch would likely be very good dredged in seasoned flour or cornmeal and deep fried. Served with coleslaw and hush puppies and iced tea.....

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This!

Roger that. I was given a bag of Lake Erie perch last week just beggin' for a fish fry. I use Italian bread crumbs.

They will look like this :)
perch.jpg

I printed out a hush puppy recipe I'm going to try my hand at, too.

Cod cooked any which way, blackfish (tautog), sea bass, haddock, Lake Superior whitefish, even small bluefish (under 5 lbs) if caught not more than 4 hours before cooking are, to my taste, quite good. The key is freshness. Many, if not most, people do not have access to really fresh fish. The official definition of fresh fish is fish that has not been previously frozen - yuk.

Last edited:
Cod cooked any which way, blackfish (tautog), sea bass, haddock, Lake Superior whitefish, even small bluefish (under 5 lbs) if caught not more than 4 hours before cooking are, to my taste, quite good. The key is freshness. Many, if not most, people do not have access to really fresh fish. The official definition of fresh fish is fish that has not been previously frozen - yuk.

I live 5 blocks from Lake MI and can get some super fresh fish from people I know who catch them(or I guess I could go catch some myself lol)
My dad used to catch something and theyd broil it. That was the only fish I had enjoyed as a child. When I ask them what fish and what seasonings they used, they cant remember!?

They will look like this :)
View attachment 11097

I printed out a hush puppy recipe I'm going to try my hand at, too.

Those look amazing!
We are doing steaks tomorrow but I may have to try this Sunday! All these ideas I am getting from everyone is making me happy! We may be eating fish a lot this summer, or at least trying it different ways :) Cookbooks I have all basically have the same ways to cook it all...mustard, lemon, grill, lol (I know grill isnt a seasonings but basically they say to grill it all)
They sell frozen hush puppies at one of the stores here and those are actually pretty good. I never tried to make them from scratch.

I find the oilier the fish, the fishy-er. Could just be me. I am partial to firm, white fleshed fish. But, walleye is the gold-standard against which all fish is judged in my life.

I remembered when I saw you say this earlier that my ex told me the same thing. He even promised to make me some that Id love no matter what, but he never got around to it. Oh well.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom