ISO not so fishy fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Cod

I am also not a huge fan of fish but love ling cod and black cod (aka sable fish). Black cod is very buttery - so yummy. I make "healthy" fried fish with roasted carrots and chipolini onions. For the fish: flour, then egg/dijon wash, and finally a mixture of bread crumbs/parm/minced basil/S&P. I use grapeseed oil to fry the fish so any fat is "good fat". Serve with homemade tartar sacue and malt vinegar. Delicious.

I'd like to add one more suggestion for our OP's soon-to-be-bride.

Some people object to it, on a moral basis... shark. It's a fish without a skeleton; very lean, almost no fat/oils. It cooks with a taste and texture almost like an extremely tender pork loin. Not "fishy" at all.

spork, i'm surprised that someone who is landlocked can get good shark. you must have a good monger who gets shark that is butchered and flash frozen as soon as it's caught.

otherwise, shark get an ammonia smell within minutes of the fish dying. i've caught a few sharks in my time and even if it was put on ice (whole), it was inedible from the smell.

BT, I'm an avid angler, too, and have inadvertently caught shark (never taken one home to eat, though). So, I'm all too alarmingly familiar with how seafood starts to spoil within minutes of its death and exposure to air. It applies to "frozen, freshly thawed" too -- I'm especially wary of thawed crab which ammonia-izes very quickly.

So I always ask the monger, "exactly how fresh," and I always ask for a personal close inspection of the flesh, including a sniff. If it has even the faintest ammonia smell, I politely pass. Don't ever eat it! I don't think it's toxic, but that ammonia smell will ooze from your pores for the next two or three days.

I've prepared steaks of thresher shark tonkatsu style, panko-breaded and shallow fried, drizzled with a bottle of traditional tomato/prune sauce. On a bed of cabbage strips slawed lighty with mayo and lemon juice. And have served it to guests who were completely fooled into thinking it was pork.

Skates and rays are not so endangered as are some species of sharks, and are made of the same stuff. They are closely related. As was mentioned by the others, if not really fresh, they start to smell like ammonia. But if they are fresh, the meat is sweet, not fishy, and absolutely delicious.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

mmm, spork. shark tonkatsu sounds delicious, besides cool. :cool:

gw, i just learned abour rays and sharks being related this past summer on a family trip to the nj state aquarium in camden. they have a really neat pond where you can pet and feed rays. my boy loved it. we went twice and closed the place both times because we couldn't drag him away from them, lol.

i've had skate wing kimchee style before, and i've heard fresh skate is sweet enough to be cut into rounds and sold as scallops.

hey, getting back to the op - mike's question, what about trying scallops for your beloved? they can be prepared in so many ways, from ceviche, to sashimi, to marinara, to st. jacques, to fried, to simply seared with butter.

my favourite ways would be sashimi (hotategai), or marinara.

Bucky, somewhere I lived (good grief am I getting old, I can remember, either Hawaii or Virginia, maybe even Florida), there was a scandal where shark was being cut into circles and sold as scallops. I guess if no one notices the difference (I've had both shark fin and I buy scallops very often) .... buyer beware. After a few glasses of wine, in a restaurant, maybe I wouldn't notice the difference?

I'd agree with that GB....I love salmon sushi and I also like smoked salmon, but cooked salmon just doesn't do it for me....sumpin evil happens to it.:devilish::cry:

Wild salmon ([referably Alaskan) is one of my favorite foods of all time, and I will eat it any way at all. raw in sushi, cold smoked, hot smoked, grilled, poached, baked, broiled, just DO it! :chef:

Here is one of my favorite ways to enjoy salmon:

Falafel-Crusted Salmon on a bed of Spinach
This is a “restaurant-style” dish that is easy to make at home. It’s a very popular choice for my Cooking Class Parties, because almost everyone likes salmon. Everyone also wants to be able to present an impressive and delicious meal to family and friends with as little effort as possible.
6 servings
2 wild salmon fillets, about 1 pound each, skin removed
Dijon mustard
1 cup “Fantastic Falafel” mix
¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
½ teaspoon freshly ground cumin
extra virgin olive oil (to film the pan)
2 additional tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 medium sized onion, chopped
2 bags (10 ounces each) fresh spinach, stemmed, well washed and dried
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
4 tablespoons balsamic vinegar

1. Cut each salmon fillet into 3 equal servings. Put a thin coat of mustard on top of each piece.

2..In a small flat bowl or plate, blend falafel mix with pepper and cumin. Place both the fish and falafel plates near your cooking surface.

3. Film a large non-stick skillet with the olive oil over medium-high heat. Dip the mustard side of each piece of salmon in the falafel mixture. Shake off excess and place in the hot oil, crumb-side down. Cook until almost done (and well browned) before turning the pieces over (about 4 minutes). Cook about 4 more minutes. Remove to a warm platter and keep warm.

4. Add about 2 tablespoons olive oil to the skillet and sauté the onion until soft (about 4 minutes). Add the garlic and ginger and sauté briefly. Add the well-dried spinach to the pan and cook until wilted. When the spinach is almost dry, add the balsamic vinegar and toss gently to coat the spinach.

5. Divide the spinach among 6 individual plates and arrange the salmon on top. Serve at once.

Back
Top Bottom