ISO Octopus in garlic sauce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pdswife

Chef Extraordinaire
Any one have a recipe that doesn't include tomatoes?

I've googled it but haven't found a recipe that doesn't want a
can of tomatoes thrown in.

Maybe just a good recipe for a garlic sauce would work... If you could also tell me how to cook the octopus??:):):)

Thanks, T

Maybe just a good recipe for a garlic sauce would work... If you could also tell me how to cook the octopus??:):):)

Thanks, T

is your octopus huge? do it seperate from sauce and add sauce. once i know how big it is can help.

babe:idea::idea:

I haven't bought any octopus yet... I'm waiting to see if I can find a recipe.

Are the smaller ones more tender??

pds, i have a good spanish recipe for garlic sauce. it's originally to be used with shrimp, but it should work for octos.

1/2 cup evoo
1/2 tsp fine sea salt
1/2 tsp fresh cracked black pepper
1/2 cup coarsely chopped white onion
4 large cloves of garlic

blend until just smooth. marinate fish with this paste at least 1 hour.

add another 1/8 cup evoo to a deep frying pan over high heat, and quickly fry until just opaque throughout.

i guess with octopus, it would be important that the pieces were roughly even sized so it all cooks the same. just a minute or two.

Last edited:
Bucky to the rescue!!

Thanks you!! That sounds wonderful!! There's no garlic in it though...lol..

Now all I have to do is go and find some eight legged sea creatures.

lol!
Thanks Bucky! This will be dinner soon!! Can't wait. I might even add some shrimp. :)

I haven't bought any octopus yet... I'm waiting to see if I can find a recipe.

Are the smaller ones more tender??

don't know about more tender, would think so. do a little batter and fry. if they are huge u will need to put in uniform pieces i think.the baby one are perfect for this. though i have not seen them in market. maybe a fish market?

babe:brows::dizzy::clap::bounce::bounce::bounce:now those smiles are fun. lol

did you have a look at the thread that BBQ Mikey started a little while ago? Think there were a few recipes in there. Can't remember if they had tomatoes in or not.

I couldn't find any octopus...so I used shrimp and scallops.

I don't think my garlic was strong enough, very very mild flavor ( and I love garlic)
so at the end of cooking time I added white wine, lemon juice and some butter. I needed a little flavor boost. Next time I'll just use more garlic or stronger garlic.

Thanks again Bucky.

You're wife is really lucky to have you
cooking for her!!

Thanks, T

Hi Pdswife,
You will need to cook the octopus first before putting in the sauce. the octopus may take a couple of hours or even 4-5 hours for a large (4/5lb) one.
The octopus may be very, and I stress very, gently simmered in water. Alternatively, place the octopus in boiling water for 30 seconds. Remove, place in an ovenproof dish, cover and cook in the oven 200C/400F/Gas 6 until tender. Make the garlic sauce separately, cut the octopus into bite sized pieces and reheat gently in the sauce.

The eminent food writer, Harold McGee has an excellent article on cooking octopus on his web site: The Curious Cook. The particular article is one from the column he writes for the New York Times and I would urge you to read it.

Hope this helps,
Archiduc

here is a great site for various octopus recipes..
www . recipezaar.com/recipes/octopus

Back
Top Bottom