ISO Pickled herring recipes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
my wife thinks i'm nuts to like smoked and/or pickled fish for breakfast.

as i'd mentioned before, pickled herring is great with fried eggs over norwegian labscaus (leftover meat/fish made into a sort of "corned beef" hash with sweet pickles chopped into it).

or smoked whitefish on rye for a breakfast sandwich. man, it's been a long time since i've had that. same goes for smoked mullet and homefries.

our cats used to love when i'd stop off and pick up tuna salad on a still warm bagel on the way home in the morning. it was always overstuffed with tuna, so there was plenty to go around. then we'd lay in a sunny spot cleaning ourselves, purring...

i think i'll have to bring them a treat soon.

I'm still trying to get my head around cooking pickled herring....I don't cook pickles, and pickled herring to me is a "pickle" and yes, for breakie they are GREAT, but on their own, they are also great <g>, if you like them.
If you google Mitch Tonks Soused Makerel recipe it should interest you, I use it for herrings as well.

i just answered my own question about reusing pickled herring sauce. smile. i added sliced red onion and cubed english cucumber to a jar of leftover pickled herring wine brine. two days later i opened a jar of fully flavored and surprisingly crunchy pickled onions and cucumbers, and contemplated my next vita herring purchase....

To make marinades for pickled herring is so easy and is a very common thing to do in Sweden. Make an herb-garlic sauce utilizing sour cream, a touch of mayo, fresh garlic and fresh herbs. Put the picked herring in the cold sauce and let sit for a few hours in the fridge before serving. Another really nice option is mustard herring: mix two or three mustards with honey and dill, add herring.

Either serve on top of hard bread or with boiled potatoes. Delicious and very easy to make in advance.

quelle, is that with raw fish, or has the fish been cooked in some way : steaming, smoking, boiling, frying, acid cooking, etc.?

This method would be used with herring that's already been pickled. I would just buy picked herring and make sauces for it, however of course you could pickle your own herring, and then flavor it in different ways.

Other very popular Swedish marinades (or sauces) for herring include curry, tomato, lemon. You commonly have two schools of thought: cream or non cream based sauces.

Back
Top Bottom